• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Future of GigaPulse?

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Future of GigaPulse?

As mentioned in the FAQ, Gigapulse is one of the first projects we would like to tackle.

GigaPulse has some incredible technology and enormous potential.

• What do you like about Gigapulse? (if you own it).
    • How could it be made better?
    • Would you like third party development support?
    • What specifically would you like to see?

Tell us what you want, what you realy really want.

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Future of GigaPulse?

Hi

GigaPulse is great, unfortunately the biggest issue with it in my mind is it doesn't come with the same quality of built in convolutions like for example Altiverb comes with. That and the fact I only have GigaPulse in GigaStudio and don't own the VST version are the two reasons I don't use it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3 View Post
    Hi

GigaPulse is great, unfortunately the biggest issue with it in my mind is it doesn't come with the same quality of built in convolutions like for example Altiverb comes with. That and the fact I only have GigaPulse in GigaStudio and don't own the VST version are the two reasons I don't use it.

Mike
    You mean the impulse responses? I think they are every bit as high quality myself, and offering 72 IR's per room is quite cool, gives you some extreme detail for placing instruments. Of course they may not have all of the exotic pictured locations that Altiverb and Waves have.

I suppose that would be my favorite thing about Gigapulse actually, all of the IR's per location for instrument placement. The graphical representation of the placements is handy as well, rather than choosing locations from a menu, you click on where to place them, its quite quick, as once the preset is loaded, you don't have to go back into the menu to find the rooms sweet spot for your song.

For negatives, or things to improve. The engine itself is a bit less accurate than some (I've done testing), I would guess for CPU conservation. With the tests I've done comparing it to Pristine Space however, PS offers both a more accurate engine and less CPU use, so this might be something to look into. Also, it currently has a 3 second limit for IR's, after which the digital tail kicks in, the algorithmic tail feature is great for lower computer use, but when it is turned off, the IR should return to its fully captured length. I would prefer if the IR's weren't locked in a proprietary format if possible, or had some sort of export to wav/aiff feature. I have made IR's my self, and have been into editing presets, and it was always a hassle to work in a proprietary format. Lastly, and this ties into one of my favorite things about GigaPulse, it would be fantastic if it supported multiple inputs. You could load up a single instance of GigaPulse, and route for example, individual strings of a quartet into GP, and then place each one within the room. It would just be simpler than having to load a new instance for each instrument with the same preset loaded.

As far as third party development support, of course more options are always better, so I'd like to see it. Of course that isn't something that really needs work, is it? Most 3rd party IR libraries are simply in wav format, and you can then import them into whatever convo reverb you prefer. I mentioned in the chat on Friday, that Larry Seyer has many more IR's done (according to some of his forum posts), and ready to go for GigaPulse, but was put on hold waiting for Tascam, so it would be a shame for these to go to waste sitting on his HDD.

I would think that you could release GigaPulse VST as is. I own it, use it and love it. Any other questions?

The only difficulty is that (I believe) GS3/GS4 is needed to edit the impulse files. You could make a non-kernel mode version of the impulse editor (kernel is certainly not needed for this), bundle it with GigaPulse VST, write a nice manual for creating your own impulses and release it.

Maybe you could release a Standard (no editor) and Pro (with editor) version.

For the standard version, the only work needed is to replace the Tascam name and graphics with Garritan. You might also hire Larry Seyer to create some additional impulses. He's the king of that castle.

I have the VST version of Gigapulse and haven't use it since I bought Altiverb. I wanted to like it, but having tried it for a while I really didn't think it was a very good quality product.

D

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    I would think that you could release GigaPulse VST as is. I own it, use it and love it. Any other questions?

The only difficulty is that (I believe) GS3/GS4 is needed to edit the impulse files. You could make a non-kernel mode version of the impulse editor (kernel is certainly not needed for this), bundle it with GigaPulse VST, write a nice manual for creating your own impulses and release it.

Maybe you could release a Standard (no editor) and Pro (with editor) version.

For the standard version, the only work needed is to replace the Tascam name and graphics with Garritan. You might also hire Larry Seyer to create some additional impulses. He's the king of that castle.
    The editor comes with the VST, and GS is not required, so no worries there.

I did remember one other thing about it that should be changed however, and really needs to be changed actually. The copy protection they used is very annoying, every single time you bring the interface up in your DAW, it opens the copy protection software in the background and checks your license, so every single time you go to edit something, you have to wait a few seconds for this, its completly unnecessary. If I recall correctly, that is what keeps GigaPulse from working on 64bit systems as well, the copy protection is only 32bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I have the VST version of Gigapulse and haven't use it since I bought Altiverb. I wanted to like it, but having tried it for a while I really didn't think it was a very good quality product.
    Why? Sound? User interface? Something else?

It didn't sound very good. Altiverb was streets ahead. It may have improved since, but I don't feel the need to try Gigapulse again, unless I hear something using it that sounds better than what I already do.

I liked the interface idea though.

D

Ditto. Specific information would be helpful to us. A generalized subjective pronouncement will not help us identify areas for improvement. If possible, please let us know whether the impulses themselves could be better, the GUI, the tails, the controls. Articulating specific areas for improvement would be the most useful.

We're looking towards the future for GigaPulse.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Ditto. Specific information would be helpful to us. A generalized subjective pronouncement will not help us identify areas for improvement. If possible, please let us know whether the impulses themselves could be better, the GUI, the tails, the controls. Articulating specific areas for improvement would be the most useful.

We're looking towards the future for GigaPulse.

Gary
    GigaPulse has two modes, a high quality mode, and a standard mode. In the default mode, the CPU tail is enabled, and you only hear roughly the first 3 seconds of the real impulse before the algorithm takes over, and it also has a slight low passed sound for CPU conservation. If you turn on the high quality mode, the convolution is done much more accuratly, and odds are, no one would notice a difference between GP, and others in this mode (placebo aside). However, this mode turns off the CPU tail, so if the impulse is over 3 seconds, it will simply cut off abruptly. This is a must to be changed!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast