• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI Channel switching

MIDI Channel switching

Hi all,

So I'm attempting to use the Garritan Steinway in a live performance venue straight from my MIDI controller to my computer. Only problem is I need to do a number of patch changes for this synthesizer part (channels, 2, 3, 4, etc.) and the Steinway seems to be set to an omni MIDI channel. So it seems there's nothing I can do with my keyboard controls (and there are quite a few of them) to stop the Steinway from sounding. I'd have to actually go to my computer and open/close the Steinway application, which isn't really an option here. Any possible solutions to this?

Central Illinois

Re: MIDI Channel switching

Hi Henry, I don't think there is any way to control that in the Steinway interface presently, but you might want to consider using MIDIyoke as a bridge between your controller and the Steinway and your other synths. You could have the Steinway on one port set up on channel one, and the other sounds on a different port (with different MIDI channels). If you don't have it already you can read up on it and download it here: http://www.midiox.com/

Hope this helps! John

Go Back to forum