• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Desert: From Dusk to Dawn

Share/Bookmark

The Desert: From Dusk to Dawn

Well, here we go! After a couple months of working on this piece off an on (while balancing it with school and work) I've finally finished! It is still rough around the edges, but alltogether, I'm happy with the content.

For those of you who have a dangerously good memory, this is a song that follows the guidelines of a song I wrote last spring, Views From an Ethereal. Basically, an intangible being observes various scenes as it wanders through the area.

The Desert(Views From an Ethereal II) takes the viewer through...well...the Desert! (not dessert, perhaps that will be number III!)

The scenes are as follow(descriptions intentionally vague)

1. A desert in the evening.
    2. A skirmish in the brush at night.
    3. The sands under the clear night sky.
    4. The desert night life.
    5. Dawn breaks.

A special thanks to our forum members, bigears and rolifer for not only turning me on to audacity, but holding my hand while I tried to figure it out

Comments, as always, are greatly appreciated, and I hope you enjoy the listen!

Thanks,

Michael Obermeyer

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7446576&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=7446576&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: The Desert: From Dusk to Dawn

Very nice Michael. This track has a good feeling to it, I like the way it works.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi Michael, I'm glad that you we're able to get the Audacity thing worked out.
    Sometimes this software stuff is befuddling! I know it has been for me.

I love the part of this that starts about at 1:30 or so, nice work with the percussion instruments. Are you a percussionist yourself? You really make the most of those instruments IMO. Thanks for bringing this back as it's been developed!
    John

Hey guys, thanks for your replies!

Hippie

I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for following this one through all of my partial posts

Bigears

To answer your question, yes, I am a percussionist. I wanted something for orchestra that used a bit more percussion than I usually use. Typically, my percussion parts are just there to add a little color now and then, but this time I wanted a song (or at least parts of a song) that were heavily based on percussion (That is, apart from a straight percussion ensemble, like I usually do ).

Thanks again, guys!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

From one percussionist to another .... roll on brother! Nice writing. The dynamics are choice. I'll be watching for more of your work.

Nice, very nice.

Styxx

Thanks, glad you liked it! Yes, I've been writing more orchestral stuff than I usually do recently, I think it may be time for a percussion ensemble or two
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Michael

The hardest part of composing for me is always the percussion. I force myself to do it and it takes me forever to get it close to what I want.

The percussion in this is wonderful.

The piece itself does not seem very rough at all around the edges, but then we are always our own worst critics.

Do you have a specific desert in mind for this? They are all so different here in the states, and around the world.

Very nice work on this

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Michael,
    that is some very cool writing!!!!!!
    On your next mix, experiment with the panning of your instruments so that they are not biased so heavily towards one side or the other. Pretend that you recorded this with a stereo mic high above the instruments.

Thank you for posting this,
    Dan

rolifer

I'm glad you liked it! The parts I feel are rough are especially the last two transitions.

The Desert I had in mind when I wrote this was the Calamari desert in South Africa....or is it in France? Man, I could really go for some seafood right now...

Actually, I didn't have a specific desert in mind when I wrote this

Edit: Now that I consider it, though I didn't have a specific desert in mind, I was typically thinking of a U.S. desert Southwest setting, but the images that I attempted to create are up for personal interpretation!

Thanks for listening!

DPDAN

Thanks for checking this out! Finale '08 actually has a really easy way to adjust the L/R position of tracks. I've used it before on some smaller percussion ensembles where positioning on-stage was critical, but never considered it for orchestra. I'll definitely tweak around with that and see if I can get something sounding similar to an actual orchestral layout, thanks for the tip!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

thanks for posting Michael!
    Dan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast