• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old Upright Piano Question 1910-1929

Share/Bookmark

Old Upright Piano Question 1910-1929

I am looking for any information on this old upright piano. I pruchased it from an old couple who saved it from a Tavern Fire in 1930. They knew nothing about it, I just got it for the display aspects of an old piano. I am guessing that it is from 1910-1929, could be older I dont know. All it says on the piano is Auerbach New York. The piano playes great, the sound board has no defects, The Piano is all original. I have attached a few photos. Also if anyone knows a price range for it that would be great. Thanks so much

Re: Old Upright Piano Question 1910-1929

Posting on one of the forums at the following site might help you find out more information:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

You say you posted photos but I don't see any.

At any rate, an old upright, will not bring you much money - unless it's a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, Chickering or another of just a handful of high quality makers from that era. On average, you can expect to get somewhere around $100 - $300 - if you can find a buyer.

As a new member, I am not familiar with the right place to ask this question, but I thought a discussion of old uprights might be a good place to start.
    I want to get a sample or modify a BiaB piano or Garritan piano to produce the clangy, resonant, slightly detuned sound of an old upright. Where do I start and/or which forum is the best place to ask?
    If you have seen the Godfather movies, when the mobsters go the mattresses and hole up during a gang war, one of the guys plays the piano and it has that sound. When I get my soundtrack for the movie I guess I could sample it, but perhaps there is an existing suitable sample in a library.

Quote Originally Posted by Lundberg02 View Post
    As a new member, I am not familiar with the right place to ask this question, but I thought a discussion of old uprights might be a good place to start.
    I want to get a sample or modify a BiaB piano or Garritan piano to produce the clangy, resonant, slightly detuned sound of an old upright. Where do I start and/or which forum is the best place to ask?
    If you have seen the Godfather movies, when the mobsters go the mattresses and hole up during a gang war, one of the guys plays the piano and it has that sound. When I get my soundtrack for the movie I guess I could sample it, but perhaps there is an existing suitable sample in a library.
    Hi Lundberg02,

If you looking for a sample based piano that sounds like an old upright, there is a fantastic product called Ivory Upright Pianos by Synthogy. It includes a vintage 1914 A.M. Hume Upright Piano as well as three other types of upright Pianos and the program allows you to turn on or off creak noises.
    Austin Haynes
    Sales and Technical Support
    ILIO

Try consulting piano tuners in your area. They might be able to tell you more about your piano. Take the upper and lower lids off and see if there is a serial number and any more names on the soundboard. Those who service pianos know what this information means.

runamuck is correct.
    Most old pianos are virtually worthless unless they are well known.
    Also they must be in exceptional condition: Good finish, Tight Pins, no cracks along bridge pins, excellent ORIGINAL finish etc.

Old Upright Piano Question 1910 1929

It doent sound the same .... but they do sound good enough for gigs.

Acoustic piano has a sound that is hard to sample.... that said they are a pain to keep in tune and move. rat

Hi,

I am in the similar situation, except we have an old August Forster serial number 4901, it is a very mediocre condition - lost its polish, out of tune, and has been sitting in the garage for about 3 years.
    Just wondering, how much would something like this be worth, looking at it in a "general perspective"

Many thanks

Most uprights around here are "haul aways", that is, if you can muster up enough friends to move it, it's yours.

Ernie

Go Back to forum