• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CoMB questions

Share/Bookmark

CoMB questions

Playing back in Finale or loading the Kontakt 2 player independently, my computer's floppy A:drive spins up, as if Kontakt 2 is searching the floppy drive. Funny--I haven't used a floppy drive in years. Nevertheless, how do I stop that?
    Arthur J. Michaels
    Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011a.r6 (using 2011a.r6), Garritan CoMB
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496, M-Audio Keystation 88es
    www.myspace.com/arthurjmichaels

Re: CoMB questions

Hi, gogreen

My old computer always did that, but it was Windows 98. My XP machines, and now my Vista laptop don't do that - But I'm familiar with the phenomenon. After that old machine would search the floppy drive for a second, it would go on. Never bothered me too much, but it was odd.

Randy

So did I miss a step in setup to prevent Kontakt from searching the A: drive? How do I get it stop that? Thanks.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011a.r6 (using 2011a.r6), Garritan CoMB

Hello again, Gogreen - I'm sorry, my earlier message wasn't clear enough. I'm saying that on my old computer, the same thing would happen. There was nothing I could see to change that, and that computer would search the A drive when loading other programs too.

But it's so not a big deal--Is it? It searches for a few seconds, then stops--I just lived with it, and did so easily. Have No idea if you can change that behavior, but to me it doesn't matter.

Randy

Thanks, Randy. Yeah, it's not that big a deal. I was just thinking that changing the BIOS settings might solve the problem by telling my computer not to look anymore at the A: drive. I suppose that's a remnant from the distant digital past, anyway.

On another note, in my progressing with using CoMB with Finale, the playback so far sounds very MIDI-ish and computer-like, not especially real (mostly brass instruments), and it sounds as if the entire group were playing with a blanket over it. Very dull sound. I'd like to achieve a brighter sound overall--like turning up the treble. I suppose reverb settings might help some. Still, is there anything else I could be doing to achieve the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks.
    Arthur J. Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
    On another note, in my progressing with using CoMB with Finale, the playback so far sounds very MIDI-ish and computer-like, not especially real (mostly brass instruments), and it sounds as if the entire group were playing with a blanket over it. Very dull sound. I'd like to achieve a brighter sound overall--like turning up the treble. I suppose reverb settings might help some. Still, is there anything else I could be doing to achieve the sound I'm looking for?
    Are you putting in dynamics and other nuances? The quality of Finale's playback is heavily dependent on being able to receive guidance from these markings. If you look any many Finale scores that have been used to render pieces you'll find a little more specificity than you see for human players.

As for the brass being dull, try creating duplicate staves playing with some of the overlay patches, especially at higher dynamics. The brass timbre is not one of GPO's strongest features, however the long-awaited update to the ARIA platform is expected to have some improvements in the brass arena.

Best,
    Reegs

You could probably fix it that way, Gogreen, yeah, you can see it's just a little quirk that isn't doing any real damage and doesn't cause all that much hassle.

Your bigger issue is more complicated. Quite frankly, it's difficult to achieve the kind of realism you're hoping for with a notation program like Finale. Some people work miracles, but they do a tremendous amount of "behind the scenes" work, using controllers and markers which are hidden in the final print-out score but which help make the playback better.

For most people, a notation program is going to get them super looking scores, but mediocre recordings. And in the inverse, programs meant to make recordings, DAWs like Sonar, are the apps that are going to yield the best sounding recordings, and without a tremendous amount of effort.

CMB is an unusual sound Library. When it first came out, early users, myself included, discovered that there were things about it we needed to figure out and understand - there were unique things to discover in order to make it sound as good as possible.

The main thing which is different is that a large number of the sounds are "group" sounds, designed to give the user instant access to section sounds without having to layer a lot of separate instrument tracks.

BUT the major thing that took us awhile to grasp is that these group instruments simply Must be staggered in their note on-set times, otherwise the dreaded "organ effect" will happen. And that's what you're describing--it's an effect of notes being too perfect (like in notation programs) and their wave forms moving in unison, all too precisely and unrealistically.

It's always important in a good MIDI generated piece for the notes not to be triggered overly precisely--that's why Finale has the "humanization" feature which tries to simulate the natural timing differences which keyboardists get as a matter of course when actually Playing music in their sequencer programs.

Beyond the humanization randomizing feature in Finale, I don't' know what else one does in Finale to make CMB sound natural. I create music in Sonar - if I need notation, then I'll use Sibelius, my notation program - but I never try to create something meant to be heard in notation.

So, from my Sonar viewpoint, with CMB, I make sure that no tracks have their notes starting at the same time, and I limit my use of group instruments, because they can quickly generate the organ-effect even when care is taken. The "computer-like" sound and "blanket over it" effects you're describing are because of what is actually a natural sound of several instruments played at once--the group samples---but what you're noticing is that when triggered from a MIDI file, they can quickly lose their realism. The warm chorusing effect can sound dull, like a blanket, and those chorused samples just don't respond well to precise triggering.

I've repeated myself in several ways to make myself clear - There is a special challenge when using CMB. I don't know all the answers to how to work with CMB in Finale- I know how I take special care with those instruments when I use them in one of my Sonar projects. In my experience, CMB sounds best when layered with other Libraries.

Randy B.

Thanks, Randy and Reegs. I'm going to try again with the few scores I've tinkered with using CMB and instead of using those groups, I'll try solo players to build sections. From what I've read and heard, that might help. For my purposes, I don't need to build huge concert bands.

I suppose eventually I'll be adding a DAW to my setup. Thanks again.
    Arthur J. Michaels

I think, if you never use your floppy drive, it would be OK to unplug it from the motherboard, inside your computer.

If anyone, who is more tech knowledgeable than i, disagrees with this method for stopping the drive-A stage of searching, please post the info... because i have never tried this.

I'm sure you know this, but be sure to unplug the power first, and don't touch any of the motherboards components.

David

Interesting suggestion, David. When I have some time to mess with my computer this way, and when I get real brave, I might try that, or go into the BIOS and tell the computer not to search the A: drive for anything. I'm afraid of just unplugging it from the motherboard without instructing the BIOS to leave it alone. I wonder if it wouldn't boot then. Awaiting the word from the more technically gifted people here...
    Arthur J. Michaels

Go Back to forum