• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Live 8 - Spectrasonics - Automap - Plugin Configure Mode & Saving

Share/Bookmark

Live 8 - Spectrasonics - Automap - Plugin Configure Mode & Saving

So close with RMX 1.8 and Live 8 to getting Automap and SPectrasonics working well together. Just one hitch.......

Live 8 has a new plugin configure parameters mode, which allows you to select the parameters that are available for automation and have more than 128 if required.

It works really well, except for saving the configurations. I found that you can save a Configuration by placing a plugin in a rack and dragging to a browser. When you pull back the rack the Configuration is saved.

However, it seems you can save an automap plugin to a rack. When you bring it back it either defaults to a non-automap plugin or causes an error.

So my question is.....

Can you save the configuration of a plugin using Configure Mode without having to use a rack?

At this point I have to re-create the configuration with each instance of the plugin. I am looking for a way around this.

Re: Live 8 - Spectrasonics - Automap - Plugin Configure Mode & Saving

Ok it seems that VST versions of the automap-wrapped plugin cant be saved in a rack, only Audio Unit versions can.

So, either switch to an audio unit version or another solution to save the midi configuration is to add a midi clip to the channel with the Automap-Plugin VST version. Drag the midi clip to the browser. When you drag it back to a new channel the config is preserved and it appears as an Automap-wrapped plugin.

I've given up on Automap... even 3.0 is still dumb as hell. In the case of Stylus it just fills up eight pages of totally useless mappings such as assigning a button to a knob, and vice versa. Sure, I can spend a month and make my own custom map for Stylus' 20,000 parameters but... why should I have to? Why doesn't Novation do it? Is it too much to ask?
    edit- forgot to mention, I've got the Nocturn.

No, you can't make an automap of all the RMX 1.8 parameters - Spectrasonics only allows us 128 parameter slots at any given time. And of those, the first 74 are hardwired to the Mixer Page...

Quote Originally Posted by BingBingBong View Post
    No, you can't make an automap of all the RMX 1.8 parameters - Spectrasonics only allows us 128 parameter slots at any given time. And of those, the first 74 are hardwired to the Mixer Page...
    Thanks. I just worked that out by trying to automate more... what a bummer!!!

So, just confirm its Stylus that has the limits.
    Does Novation allow for more?
    Does Ableton Live Configure Mode allow for more?

Quote Originally Posted by BingBingBong View Post
    And of those, the first 74 are hardwired to the Mixer Page...
    That's not the case. You can freely assign all 128 slots. Use "Unlearn" commands.

Quote Originally Posted by ~rishi~ View Post
    Thanks. I just worked that out by trying to automate more... what a bummer!!!

So, just confirm its Stylus that has the limits.
    Does Novation allow for more?
    Does Ableton Live Configure Mode allow for more?
    Novation Automap allows for much, much more. You have, I believe, unlimited number of pages, you just add more as you go along. When you opened Stylus RMX 1.5 in Automap, you had a default template of 390 pages, each with 56 automatable knobs, faders and buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    That's not the case. You can freely assign all 128 slots. Use "Unlearn" commands.
    Eric, I tried to use the command 'Clear All', but it doesn't clear the Mixer Page 74. So, thanks for this tip, although the downside is that you have to do it one parameter at a time.

Two questions, one new and one old: Why doesn't 'Clear All' clear all? And why is RMX 1.8 limited to 128 parameter slots?

Thanks for the tip Eric.

I can confirm BingBingBong's experience above with clear all and unlearning individually.

Also, when I recall my saved template with unlearnt mixer parts. All the unlearnt mixer parts return when I do a Show All.

Eric is using RMX 1.8.1 where that bug has been fixed. Version 1.8.1 will be available shortly.

- Glenn

Go Back to forum