• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway Basic - Reda Sonate 1, mvt 1

Thumbs up Steinway Basic - Reda Sonate 1, mvt 1

It has been AGES since I posted.... life has simply been too busy for me to do so. I have popped in once in awhile, but in sort of a drive-by mode rather than intent on doing any posting or commenting.

It appears that soon my life will return to some semblance of normal, but there are some hurdles to overcome in the next weeks before that happens.

Having said that, I simply HAD to take a short moment to post a demo from my recent purchase of the Steinway Basic..

This is the first movement of Sigfried Reda's Sonate for piano - Reda was one of those (currently neglected) 20th Century modern German composers. As I have mentioned in the past, the unfortunate stigma of WW2 led to many of these fine composers being marginalized , even when most of them did their best to stay out of the politics or even openly objected (some at great personal and professional cost).

I have greatly enjoyed exploring these mostly unheard works, and now share this one with you - it reminds me much of Hindemith in spots.

Initial work was done in Finale 2009, final tweaking and application of impulse reverb in Reaper.

This rendition dedicated to:

- et Lux, for his friendship and support
    - rbowser, for his love of minimal reverb
    - Tom, for his appreciation of my obscure "finds"

Now, I crawl back under my rock for a couple of weeks - I shall return soon!

- Jonathan (giwro_jon)

Central Illinois

Re: Steinway Basic - Reda Sonate 1, mvt 1

Hi Jon, I enjoyed the first movement of the Sonata. The piano sounded very percussive to me, a lot like an instrument played with mallets. Very nice!!
    Have fun with your new Steinway! John

Very nice movement and well played. It is evident that
    you are enjoying your new Steinway. It's nice to see you
    back and hope you can return soon.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks for the nice comments, Bigears and Rhap2!

I'll be back whenever I can!

Very nice and well played Jonathan.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Jon - well played with lots of gusto! There is nothing like trying out a new instrument.

How do you like the sound and feel of the new Steinway Basic (assume this is the downloaded version)? I found scant information for this version of the Steinway on the Garritan site (no demos or any indication if there was an upgrade path to the other ones or not.)

Thanks for sharing!

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Thanks for your kind words, Hippe, Del.

Del, I think there would likely be an upgrade path - Gary has always been kind to us in that way. I suspect that when the 2 "bigger" versions are back in stock we'll see an option for that.

I played the Beta full version at NAMM in 2007, and I'd say the Basic feels pretty similar. Just as a comparison, I have the NI Akoustik Piano and this compares favorably with it (and IMHO is better - some of the notes on the NI version just don't sound right to me)

I'm in the middle of a move right now, so I won't be posting a lot of demos anytime soon, but I should be back to normal by mid- May.

Very interesting work!, and well performed too, for moments sounds like a futuristic Bach. Congratulations for your new Steinway. Enjoy it!

Thanks, mrkeyboard!

This is a neobaroque work, so the occasional resemblance to Bach is not unusual

Glad you enjoyed it!

Go Back to forum