• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Chips and Dipps (actually dimms)

Share/Bookmark

Chips and Dipps (actually dimms)

I am at the limits of my computer on all of my projects now and am looking to upgrade to a 64 bit system and have a few questions.

First off, I will stay with PC. MACs confuse me too much.

1. Should I go with a Quad core or the newer Intel Core i7-940 Processor?

2. I know that a 32 bit system can only use like 3.4 gbs Ram, so how much Ram can a 64 bit system ultimately use?

I am looking at systems that use 8 gbs and 12 gbs Ram right now, but can I use more later? It used to be that I could remove the Ram I had and buy better Ram and install it myself. If I get a system with 8 gbs (4 dimms of 2 gb each) Ram now, can I buy 4 dimms of 4 gb each and install them later? Or have things changed?

3. How can I convince the government to give me some bailout money to purchase the new system?

Thanks

Ron

Edit: I just purchased a Refurbished Dell Studio XPS Desktop with a 2.66 i7 processor and 12 gbs RAM for $983 delivered.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Chips and Dipps (actually dimms)

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    3. How can I convince the government to give me some bailout money to purchase the new system?

How much, approximately, have you stolen from the taxpayers in the last few years?

If the amount is under $1,000,000,000, then I'm afraid you are out of luck. You are ineligible for government subsidies. Your obvious inability to steal large sums of money from unsuspecting people makes you too much of a risk.

Michel

I laughed at first, then I wanted to cry.

But it warms my heart knowing that for the rest of my life and my kid's life, that we will be paying the salaries of the most needful millionaires in America.

Ron

Too big to fail......too small to succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Steve Winkler

Ron, I believe both XP64 and Vista64 support up to 128 GBs of RAM.
    The question of how much RAM can be installed into the motherboard should be considered.

As for the bailout plan, better get in line bro........

John

128 gbs is what I have also heard. But I am getting lots of conflicting stories from the makers of the computers. Salesman just don't really know for sure what they are selling.

Do you know anything or heard anuthing about the Intel Core i7-940 Processor and how well it works with making music?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    How much, approximately, have you stolen from the taxpayers in the last few years?

If the amount is under $1,000,000,000, then I'm afraid you are out of luck. You are ineligible for government subsidies. Your obvious inability to steal large sums of money from unsuspecting people makes you too much of a risk.
    LOL! Perfect!

Ok, lets try tackling the first three questions...

1. Should I go with a Quad core or the newer Intel Core i7-940 Processor?

It's hard to tell. Here's the thing. Everyone thinks that faster CPUs is all that matters. It's not. Bus architecture is just as important. Intel boxes are notorious for becoming I/O bound before they become CPU bound. How big do your projects get? Do you see them becoming 3 or 4 times the size that they are today? What is your main hardware constraint today? For instance, if it is memory then the new i7 chip won't help. I'd ask myself the following:

1) Do I want to pay the huge premium to get a system comprised of i7 and the motherboard, RAM, etc. that will be required to run it?

2) Are my projects so big that it would take a quad core to it's knees?

3) Where are my bottlenecks today? What do I need to fix them?

Answer these questions in a post and lets continue the discussion.

2. I know that a 32 bit system can only use like 3.4 gbs Ram, so how much Ram can a 64 bit system ultimately use?

Well, the technical answer is more than you can afford, more than your motherboard will be able to support and more than you will want to provide cooling for.

I think what you should be asking yourself is `How much RAM do I think I need and how much will it cost?' I am betting that you will start to figure this one out on your own at that point. For the record, unless you are doing something terribly huge I can't see needing more than 16 - 24 gigabytes of RAM. Why? Because I'm willing to bet if your arrangement is that big that you will run into other constraints that will require a second computer anyways.

I am looking at systems that use 8 gbs and 12 gbs Ram right now, but can I use more later?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the motherboard supports up to 8 or 12 gigabytes of RAM? If so, I'd probably look for a board that supports 16 -24 gigabytes of RAM.

I am going to resist the 150 comical retorts I have for this one and leave it to what qccowboy said.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Hey Ron,
    A few other random thoughts.

1. We don't know much (if anything) about i7 and the surrounding chipsets (which are just as important) when it comes to music. Either wait until we do or go with something that is proven.

2. All that new-fangeled stuff will be disproportionately expensive. Do you want to spend extra $$ on a system that is not yet proven?

3. Many people are running 64 bit systems are are content. Many are not. Those who are not usually either have software that doesn't like being in the 4 bit OS or hardware that doesn't like it. I would especially verify that your audio hardware (interface, UAD card, etc.) is Vista 64 compatible. If any of it is not clearly certified I would steer clear to avoid much frustration.

I know I'm coming off anti i7, but I'm not. In fact I think it is great! However, it is not yet proven. I don't know about you, but I barely have time to be a musician let alone a hardware guinea pig. (At least to that level.)

Hope this helps,

Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Kevin

This does help a lot.

I wish I knew the answers to some of your questions.

Right now I have dual 3.0 (AMD I think) chips with 4 gbs Ram and a Delta 88 sound card.

I run Sonar 8 pro using around 50 midi tracks. I get dropouts and crackles and spikes and other weird things that I assume is because of lack of memory.

So I am looking to at least double my memory.

From what you are saying about the i7 makes a lot of sense. I have been leaning towards a quad with the intel 2.33 or 2.66 chips and 8 gbs ram. But the machines I have been looking at have 4 slots for dimms, so does that mean I am forever limited to 8 gbs ram? I have seen machines with the i7 that have 6 slots for dimms and 12 gbs ram. That is the only reason I have considered the new chip.

Does that help to clarify my present problems?

Ron

Hi again Ron,

I haven't been able to find anything yet about the Intel Core i-7 processor relating to actual use for audio production. It has tremendous bench test specs in general though. As LFO wrote, it's probably too early yet.

When I built my computer for audio, I did a dual-boot set-up with two OS's, thinking I would get ready for 64 bit audio. So far, I haven't made much use of the 64 bit part of my setup. The combinations of hardware (computer and sound card/interface, OS, and all the various software programs that I want to use still aren't in alignment.

I wonder how much can be accomplished by networking 2 or more computers the way DPDan has done? It might be worth conferring with him, I know he is able to run some big projects with his setup.
    I'm still not convinced that I've done all I can do to optimize my existing system for audio. I'm hitting the "memory available" wall on a few occasions with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 4 GB's RAM (w/physical address extension uses 3.25 GB.)

I'd recommend gathering the best info and then considering it at length. It's pretty expensive to be on the cutting edge. John

Go Back to forum