• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A440 sounds "tunky" in the player perspective.

Share/Bookmark

A440 sounds "tunky" in the player perspective.

Hi All,

I'm working on a new piano piece that uses A440 frequently and every time it is played it seems to stick out noticeably (velocity ~80). The tone quality just does not match the surrounding notes and it sounds to my ears very synthetic compared to the rest of the samples. This is the player perspective, which is my preference, though I suppose I'll need to load some of the others and see if I can find a substitute. The last thing I did with the Steinway was a mostly diatonic piece in Eb, so it hadn't come up before.

Is anyone else hearing this?

Re: A440 sounds "tunky" in the player perspective.

Hi, I can't hear anything unusual about A440 with the Player perspective.
    Have you tried loading the Player No Rel samples?
    Maybe try a different perspective or even a different library to rule out the problem with that particular note being related to your keyboard controller.
    Hope you get it solved! John

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp View Post
    Hi All,

I'm working on a new piano piece that uses A440 frequently and every time it is played it seems to stick out noticeably (velocity ~80). The tone quality just does not match the surrounding notes and it sounds to my ears very synthetic compared to the rest of the samples. This is the player perspective, which is my preference, though I suppose I'll need to load some of the others and see if I can find a substitute. The last thing I did with the Steinway was a mostly diatonic piece in Eb, so it hadn't come up before.

Is anyone else hearing this?
    I have noticed it in both the Under Lid and Classic perspectives (I have Steinway Standard) since I first played this library. It was much worse before the recent update, but it still sticks out a bit. I am using a Roland RD-700SX as a controller.

Are you running the v1.03 update? It may help, if you are currently using an older version. You can download it through garritan.biz

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Are you running the v1.03 update? It may help, if you are currently using an older version. You can download it through garritan.biz
    Hi Jeff,

Yes, I'm up to date. I spot checked a few other renderings others have posted and I find I can often pick out this note played with enough velocity. It's very plainly evident if one mouse clicks the Aria player interface chromatically, say from F to C. The note sounds quite thin. There's no body or depth to it. Now that I'm aware of it, I can't stop hearing it.

The work around is to cut the velocity on this one note or play in a different key, but neither are something I'm in favor of routinely doing. So far, both the Player and Classic perspectives have the same issue. I haven't checked the others, but would assume they're similar.

I do most of my work with headphones, so perhaps certain things are more noticeable than usual.

I concur that A #69 has different (I would say a metallic) sound at higher velocities than any other nearby note. In the piece I'm working on this particular "A #69" just happens to be at the peak level in a repetitive phrase and so stands out in that context.

I have version 1.03 standard (classic View only)version - Aria 1.066

Hope this is being looked into

Sigh

Fred

Hi Jeff,
    I did a quick test only from velocity 68 through 112 and indeed there still are some velocity issues with V 1.03. Player position, but I suspect these issues are also evident in all the other perspectives too.

For instance, the note (A) above middle C (440) when played at 82 is pretty much the same same volume as 96. The notes smoothly increase to a louder and more aggressive attack from 79 (not 80) to 95, then at 96, the sound suddenly drops backwards to a sound that pretty closely resembles 82.

F# above middle C is significantly softer at velocity 70.
    The C above middle C (last example) the first twelve note velocities do not appear to change in timbre or volume at all, like the others do so smoothly.

Some of these notes in this
    MIDI FILE

produce a change of timbre and volume at velocities 79 and 96 that is smoother than the others.

Perhaps some more tweaking could be incorporated into the next version.
    These same issues are also perceived in most of the adjacent notes.

Count the notes,.. when you get to twelve and twenty nine, with all the notes in this midi file, there is a change in timbre. To me, it sounds like it is going into a different sample, of course,.... that is somewhat expected when the piano was not sampled with 127 different velocity layers.

Jeff, I have provided this info not to make you feel like .... UGH!
    but rather a suggestion to look into these types of issues that are likely in other notes beside these few I tested.

I want to congratulate and THANK YOU again for your persistent drive to make this piano the best one available, I believe it is even right now.

Dan

The Basic version has been voiced quite well, I hear. So it's just a matter of waiting for the updates for Pro and Standard which Jeff is now working on. Thanks, Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi, I can't hear anything unusual about A440 with the Player perspective.
    Even with big ears? Just kidding.

Hi Fred and all-
    I expect to be intensively voicing the piano, once I'm done with the 1.04 update. It is my expected focus of 1.05.
    Thanks for the info Dan. I'll be doing a lot of work in this area soon... it will probably be exhausting but worthwhile

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast