• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS2 Double Bass as Upright?

Share/Bookmark

GOS2 Double Bass as Upright?

Gary:

I am in need of a superb upright bass VST. I currently have the ManyBass Upright and the Sonivox Upright, and neither are doing it for me.

While I am considering Trillian and the VSL Upright to fill this void, I also am very interested in GOS2.

Will the double bass in GOS2 be usable as a upright? In other words, will the proper articulations be present to give a convincing jazz upright performance on the double bass?

Thanks,
    Davin

Re: GOS2 Double Bass as Upright?

Davin, Have you looked at this bass?
    http://www.orangetreesamples.com/ind...od&productId=6

Hi, Davin

To answer your question, it sounds like you're going to be very difficult to please. You already don't like some outstanding Bass instruments.

But GOS isn't even available - are you meaning GPO? If so, I am confident you wouldn't want to use the orchestral solo Bass for what you're talking about. The GPO Bass is fine for ensemble work, but not for detailed up-front soloing.

The Upright in JABB sounds pretty darned good to me, I think you should consider that.

GOS is on the list of Libraries to be updated, revived in its case - but that will be awhile from now.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Davin, Have you looked at this bass?
    http://www.orangetreesamples.com/ind...od&productId=6
    I don't have Kontakt, so PearBass is out.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Davin

To answer your question, it sounds like you're going to be very difficult to please. You already don't like some outstanding Bass instruments.

But GOS isn't even available - are you meaning GPO? If so, I am confident you wouldn't want to use the orchestral solo Bass for what you're talking about. The GPO Bass is fine for ensemble work, but not for detailed up-front soloing.

The Upright in JABB sounds pretty darned good to me, I think you should consider that.

GOS is on the list of Libraries to be updated, revived in its case - but that will be awhile from now.

Randy B.
    Randy:

If you can send me a ManyBass patch that makes the upright sound as good as it does in the demos, I'd be forever grateful.

The Sonivox upright sounds as cheap as it was to buy.

I thought GOS2 was set for release during the first half of 2009. Surely, Gary would know what articulations will be included by now!

Hi Davin, I wouldn't hold my breath thinking GOS2 is going to have an upright bass suitable for Jazz. It is an orchestral library after all. Among Garritan products the best bass for Jazz is among the basses in JABB, which have quite a bit of control built in to them. There is control over finger slide noises, fundamental intensity, attack speed, portamento, intonation, timbre, and mid and high EQ, and open strings are controlled by the sustain pedal. Two different basses were sampled for plucks, with one also featuring arco samples.
    This library comes with the KontaktPlayer2 right now, but eventually I believe it will be reworked for the Aria interface. Chris Hein basses also run in the Kontakt Player2. Most of the others I'm familiar with require a sampler. Good luck in your quest! John

The best upright jazz bass I've run across is the Larry Seyer upright for GigaStudio. I find it just short of amazing. However, GigaStudio is no longer available, and if you think the wait for GOS2 is going to be long don't even consider the wait for whatever might happen to GigaStudio<G>!

I am not sure if you can even purchase the Seyer library for Giga except as a closeout, but it appears the sample library itself has been ported to a stand-alone player available as a download from Larry's site (larryseyerdigital.com). I think it's worth checking out.

Bill
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Randy B.
    Folks,

Last January during NAMM, there was a press release about GOS2 and it said;

Garritan Orchestral Strings 2 is expected to be released 1st quarter of 2009.

I guess things have changed?

You can read the full press release here at the KVR site: http://www.kvraudio.com/news/10823.html

As for the double bass: according to that press release, GOS2 should include a solo Amati double-Bass. I guess it's going to be more of a "classical" bass rather than a jazz upright.

NDEE

The Vienna Symphonic Library downloadable upright sounds great AND comes with its own player. It sounds better than the Seyer upright in my opinion.

However, I thought the ManyBass upright was going to be great from the demos, and it wasn't. It may have something to do with a lack of presets for the ManyBass player for the upright. The presets are only compatible with ManyStation.

VST Synthfont plays .gig files. I don't know if it can play all the articulations (I don't even know what Gigasampler's capabilities were). Anyway, it will play the samples in a .gig file.

There's also Linux Sampler, which will play .gig files, supposedly with all the bells and whistles. I downloaded and played with it a bit, but would have to jump through some hoops to get it to play nice with Sonar, and since I don't have any giga libraries per se*, I haven't bothered.

*Nothing professionally produced and paid for...

Quote Originally Posted by davinwv View Post
    The Vienna Symphonic Library downloadable upright sounds great AND comes with its own player. It sounds better than the Seyer upright in my opinion.
    Interesting! I had a chance to spend some time at a friend's studio messing with VSL. Not sure which version, but it wasn't a stand-alone. I'll have to check that out. However, the bass in the full library did not (imho) hold a candle to the Seyer Bass.

horses for courses?
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Go Back to forum