• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan GPO Steinway crashes

Share/Bookmark

Garritan GPO Steinway crashes

I am using Garritan Instruments for Finale 2009 v1.0 (as a VST Instrument with the ARIA player v1.041) in Cubase Essential 4 (v.4.5.2).

It works fine, great even, with one exception: the Steinway Piano sound sometimes (that is, quite often, but not ALWAYS ...), creates an enormous problem, making it almst impossible to work with. As soon as it is loaded and I play the first note (on the USB M-Audio keystation 49) the track and master go into complete overload, pinning the meters, accompanied by a horrendous (white noise-type) continuous feedback sound. I can stop the sound by muting the master, but I have to exit Cubase to actually stop it (usually only possible by Ctrl-Alt-Del /TaskManager/endProgram).

I am using the ASIO4ALL driver (which works perfectly and best for me) - ASIO buffer at 768 samples, giving a latency of 0.00ms (in) and 21.587ms (out), sample rate 44.1khz.
    Since I'm not recording audio, all inputs are disabled, only HD Audio out 1/2 is enabled.

I am using the piano either on an instrument track, or on a MIDI track, it doesn't seem to make any difference regarding the above problem.

In the ARIA player on the piano track in the "About" section it says this - preCaching: 32kb (als available are 64/96/128), quality: normal, Inst.Poly:32 (also available would be 8/16/64/128). Would changing any of these setting help? (I've tried some, but it didn't seem to matter ...)

I simply can't pin down where the problems might be (particularly since it's not consistent ...), but it's too bad because I really would like to continue working with it (all my composing is done first with a piano sound ...) and the Garritan Steinway is simply much better than the HALionOne piano or any of the other VST GM piano sounds.

Is the problem in the sound itself? or the ARIA player? or Cubase?

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

equipent: Cubase Essential 4, Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Xi3650 laptop, 18.4 in. HD display, Intel Centrino2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio, 2GB RAM, Vista HP (32-bit), M-Audio 49+25 Keystations, Finale 2009

Re: Garritan Steinway crashes

Hi, This sounds like you have a feedback loop, which is related to your soundcards inputs and outputs. Are you using the onboard soundcard in your laptop, the Realtek mentioned in your signature? Try bringing up the Windows mixer and check to see if you have any monitoring enabled there. It should be in the Record Controls sections (maybe called "What U Hear". I don't know what it looks like in Vista though.
    If there is an interface for the Realtek soundcard, you should check there as well for a monitoring feature that might be enabled and needs to be turned off.

You should also be able to enable/disable input monitoring in Cubase, but again I can't tell you exactly where. You could try the opposite of where it is set now to see if it makes a difference. I hope this may help you. John

Re: Garritan Steinway crashes Cubase

thanks, yes, I'm using the Realtek card
    I checked as suggested (in 3 places: Windows mixer, Realtek options, ASIO4All control panel), and the ONLY thing enabled is Realtek HD Audio output 1 and 2

it does indeed sound like a feedback loop problem, just don't see where it might originate

and the strange thing is that it so far has ONLY happened with this particular instrument (Steinway Piano)

...?

Re: Garritan Steinway crashes Cubase

Hi

Just to be sure, you are talking about the Garritan Steinway that is part of Finale 2009, not the "full" garritan steinway product?
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

yes, it's the Steinway Piano from Garritan Instruments for Finale 2009 v1.0

Re: Garritan GPO Steinway crashes

Hi Michael, Have you tried using the piano in the Aria interface as a standalone?
    That might help diagnose where the problem lies. John

Quote Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
    yes, it's the Steinway Piano from Garritan Instruments for Finale 2009 v1.0
    Could you try this ARIA core update:
    http://plogue.com/davidv/ARIA/ARIA_1.0.6.9_Update.exe

And see if it improves things?
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Hi,

I've downloaded the ARIA update, works fine.

Haven't been able to duplicate the problem, although I'm not sure if ARIA was really the cause.

Can't continue to explore this further today, but I'll be back tomorrow.

Thanks so far.

Michael

well, couldn't stop checking it out ....

so far no more problems!

back if it occurs again

but still, just out of curiosity - the settings I mentioned in the ARIA "About" section - is there any advantage in changing any of these (and if so, under what circumstances?)

thanks again

Michael

Go Back to forum