• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mixing Difficulties with Kontakt 2 Player

Share/Bookmark

Mixing Difficulties with Kontakt 2 Player

I've been trying to mix 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, piano, bass, within Kontakt 2 player right from the player instead of the Sonar 8 mixer. When I change the Kontakt 2 player's volume fader of a instrument it snaps back the original position! How do I keep it from snapping back to it's starting level and keep it at the level that I set? Anyone mix JABB in this fashion?

Re: Mixing Difficulties with Kontakt 2 Player

Hi Ron,

I'll start with a question to help me understand the problem better: When you say that it snaps back to the original position, do you mean:
    1) when you re-open the project the individual volumes on each of the instruments is back to the default position

or

2) whenever you adjust an instrument fader, it immediately snaps back soon after you take your cursor off it

I've never experienced anything like (2). I have experienced (1). I use JABB/K2-player in Cubase SX3. I had a project where after a while, I noticed that the volume faders on the JABB instruments were reset to their default values everytime I opened the project in Cubase. I have never figured out what I touched that made that happen and I have not seen it happen again. It sure was frustrating . I could never figure out to make it behave like it always did before (ie, memorized the settings "forever"). I found a work around: after I got the K2-player all set-up the way I wanted it to be with JABB instruments, before doing anything else, I saved the multi. This way, when I reopened the project, even thought the sliders were now back to the default, I could reload the multi and get everything back the way I wanted it with one simple maneuver. It is a work-around and not a real solution , but it did solve my immediate problem of having to remember and then reset all of the individual instrument volumes. So, it's not a solution, but it did keep me from going completely crazy.

Thankfully I have not seen this happen again, but since I don't know why it happened in the first place, I now make a habit of saving my multi's just in case it should return.

As for "Anyone mix JABB in this fashion": personally, I only make small adjustments to the instruments in the K2-player and leave the real mixing job to the mixer in Cubase. That is just my work method as I like the virtual instrument to only be an instrument and keep all of my mixing work/decisions/automation in the sequencer's mixer. There is no right or wrong here and what works for you is what works for you. So if you like doing your mixing in the K2-player, then you're the boss so do it that way !
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

The volume is snapping back because Sonar is sending CC7 to the instrument. The volume is probably set in the track view. You can go into the Kontakt player and disable pan and volume (CC10/CC7) which will stop Kontakt from receiving the volume info.

Jim

Well, the Kontakt 2 player's faders snap back when I stop and then start the sequence or a part stops playing and then plays again. In Sonar 8 SE I should be able to mix the JABB instruments from the Sonar mixer but Sonar didn't generate separate audio outputs but just a stereo output. I'm not sure how to get Kontakt 2 to ouput to different outputs. That why I wanted a Kontakt 2 manual so I could understand what to do.

Hi, Here is a link to a tutorial that DPDan put together that illustrates how to set up the outputs in the Kontakt Player. It's down the page in this thread and contains his text and screen shots. John

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=63030&page=2

You can add extra audio outputs in Sonar by inserting an Audio track. Then click on the input for the audio track created and select the extra Kontakt output from there.

Jim

Good advice! The reason that I want to control the mix from the Kontakt 2 player mixer is that Sonar's audio tracks' faders are at their maximum range which leaves me little room to mix but the Kontakt 2 player faders are no where near the maximum range. Anyway, how would I stop Sonar from sending midi volume to the Kontakt 2 Player or disable it in the player. You didn't say how to do this! I did check out the tutorial on creating outputs in Kontakt 2 Player but when I saved the configuration as the default it didn't save at all what should I do?

Hi, There are several possibilities that might explain why the settings weren't saved when you set up the outputs in KP2. Once you've made the changes you need to click on the "make default" button in the player that's visible when you are in the outputs section. I'd try to do this in the standalone KP2 and once finished, close the player then re-launch and make sure your settings were saved.
    Then launch Sonar and start a new project. When you select "insert soft synth" from the menu in Sonar and choose the KP2, an option box will open that gives you several choices about the outputs that Sonar will load. You should select one of the options (first synth audio output, all synth audio outputs:stereo, all synth audio outputs:mono). Then when you click OK, Sonar will load the KP2 with a midi track for the player and the audio track configuration you selected. Then you can add however many midi tracks you want and assign them to an output and name them to correspond with the instruments you have chosen in the KP2.
    I'd urge you to reconsider the way you want to control the volume of the instruments with the KP2 and not the mixer in Sonar. The faders in the KP2 will respond to the MIDI data that is in your tracks in Sonar. Your workflow will improve if you don't have to constantly go back and forth between the different interfaces.
    If you want to emulate a lifelike musical performance, your tracks are going to need constant MIDI data changes that affect the volume and expression, vibrato, etc.
    A simple way to set an initial volume for your tracks would be to select a track in Sonar, then from the menu select "Insert>Controllers", a box will open where you can select "controller", and enter the CC number. To control the volume faders of the KP2, select CC 7 and enter a beginning numerical value (say 80-100) and click on OK.
    I'd recommend you try to work with Sonar this way and learn how to use the MIDI controllers, rather than disabling the controllers. I hope this will help you, John

Well, John I did click the "make default" button after I created the outputs and Kontakt 2 just goes back to the default outputs of two stereo and four aux stereos. One thing that I notice though is that the outputs are created in the Sonar mixer. Also you know that the Kontakt 2 player comes with 3 Kontakt 2 dlls. One is stereo, one is o 8 out, and the last one is 16 out. Should just use the stereo out and create more outputs or what? They are act the same interms of how the outputs are saved. Well, like I said before, I click the "make default" button and nothing gets saved! I only get multiple outputs in the Sonar mixer. Question: When you save the configuration of the outputs are they saved "globally" or just in the project?

Hi, Are you trying to re-configure the outputs from within Sonar, or in the standalone KP2? If you don't have a KP2 shortcut on your desktop go through the start menu and launch the Kontakt Player, and then do the outputs and click on the make default button.
    That's the way I set mine up and it has stayed the way I configured the outputs so far. I don't know what happens if you do it from within Sonar.

If you haven't already, could you try to do it in the standalone KP2 and let me know how it goes? John

Go Back to forum