• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting more confused all the time

Share/Bookmark

Getting more confused all the time

Ok....so I have been hemming and hawing about whether I am going to buy either the Professional or Standard version of this software....or if I am going to buy it at all....and I am just getting more and more overwhelmed...

My gear: I have a Lenovo with tonnes of hard drive space...right off hand, I don't know what kind of sound card I have, though. I have an 8-channel Presonus Firepod connected via firewire cable, so a midi connection is no problem. As for software, I have Finale 2008, and Adobe Audition 1.5.

I have an old upright piano that just isn't what I want for my recording...and I am just not willing to go out and buy the Roland V-Piano (whenever it comes out) to have an extraordinary piano sound.

I guess I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the Garritan Steinway software compatible with my existing recording software?

2. Will I need to update my hardware?

3. How is the hardness/softness with which I press a key on the synth handled by the software, or will I need another program or set of complicated processes to make the eventual piano track sound realistic?

Any help that anyone can give would be amazing!!

Re: Getting more confused all the time

Hi Abbey Road, Welcome to the forum!

The creation of music on a computer can initially overwhelm a person with information and choices, so you are definitely not alone. Many of the members here create their projects in a software sequencer program or in a notation program, and some combine the two and use the strong points of each to develop their projects.

The Garritan Authorized Steinway Piano can be used as a VST within a sequencer or from within a notation program like Finale. It also functions as a standalone, where you can launch the Aria interface and play and record your keyboard performances, which can be saved as wav files.

You didn't mention if you have a keyboard controller, which is essential if you want to record your realtime playing, or it can be used to enter note data into Finale. Do you intend to use the Steinway from within Finale?

The answers to your questions:
    Is the Garritan Steinway software compatible with my existing recording software?
    Yes. The Garritan Steinway is a standalone program or a plug-in that works with Max and PC, VST, RTAs, and Audio Units, and also with many notational programs.

Will I need to update my hardware?
    If you mean the Presonus, probably not. The Presonus Firepod is your Audio/MIDI interface that will allow you to input MIDI data into your computer programs and hear the audio that comes back out of those programs. Some external interfaces will work alongside the onboard soundcard of your computer, some others required disabling of the onboard soundcard. Either way, you should be good with the Presonus.

How is the hardness/softness with which I press a key on the synth handled by the software, or will I need another program or set of complicated processes to make the eventual piano track sound realistic?
    The Steinway is programmed to respond to the velocity, or how hard or soft you strike the keys of your keyboard controller. This data is also controllable in the MIDI editing sections of a sequencer or notation program.
    There are many posts in the Listening Room section of the Garritan area where you can hear songs by members who essentially are capturing their real-time performance played into the Steinway.

So, you should be able to use the Steinway Piano either within Finale, or as a VST in a sequencer program, or as a standalone player/recorder. I hope this helps inform you towards making your decisions. Gary Garritan has also promised upgrade paths from the basic and standard versions, which would allow you to start without popping for the Pro version right off the bat. John

Re: Getting more confused all the time

I don't mean to hijack your thread but if you are looking at the Professional Edition of the Garritan Steinway, I am again putting my copy on the market. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the library, I am just getting very busy with guitar-based projects and have no time for piano anymore.

PM me if you are interested.
    Curt

Go Back to forum