• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any High Hat libraries respond to mod wheel continuosly (for opening and closing?)

Share/Bookmark

Any High Hat libraries respond to mod wheel continuosly (for opening and closing?)

My clearmountin high hats will play a mapped sample (degree of openness) based on the mod wheel. However they don\'t respond continuously. In other words, if I have the mod wheel all the way up and hit a note I will hear a really open high hat. But when I bring the mod wheel down (with note still depressed) that doesn\'t affect it (i.e. it doesn\'t close the hat - the open mapped sample just finishes its sustain). Of course the next note I hit will have a closed sound. But the high hat modulation dimension doesn\'t work the way I want (the way I described). I want to use the mod wheel to record my high hat parts and let the hat \'breath\' by opening and closing it (like a real drummer would do).

Anyone know of libraries that work this way or does anyone know how to edit the clearmountin stuff so that it does work this way? For that matter, does anyone understand what I am describing?

-brian

Re: Any High Hat libraries respond to mod wheel continuosly (for opening and closing?)

Hi Brian,

This doesn\'t directly address your question...

But the reason why you don\'t see any advanced Giga Drum libraries using the Mod wheel (or other controllers) to control hi-hat (open/closed) samples is that you\'d be limited to 16 total hi-hat samples.

If you\'re looking for extremely realistic sounding hi-hat response, 16 samples is not enough to cover every articulation/dynamic level. For example, Purrrfect Drums has 17 different hi-hat articulations... each 16 stereo cross-switching samples deep.
    Even if you cut the number or articulations in half, you\'d only have 2 samples for each articulation. So it would sound quite static.

I\'m sure Nemesys can/will address this in a future update.

Jim Roseberry www.studiocat.com

Re: Any High Hat libraries respond to mod wheel continuosly (for opening and closing?)

Doesn\'t Roland\'s set of electornic kits for drummers address this with their electronic hihat pedal??

I agree that we need more extensive dimension facilities.

The TD-10 (V-drum brain) allows a continuous controller type hi-hat pedal to switch between three notes.

Jim Roseberry www.studiocat.com

Go Back to forum