• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why do cookies have my name in them, and do the sites I visit see that?

Share/Bookmark

Why do cookies have my name in them, and do the sites I visit see that?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    When I delete cookies on my computer I noticed my name is on them. Do other websites I visit see my name on the cookies they place on my computer? And how would I change my name for security and privacy concerns if this is the case? For example, If I visit the IRS website, I am not happy that they would have my name and know everything I visited. I know I could visit through another website where my id would be hidden, but that's a pain in the neck. I would think when I first register a new Microsoft windows this is when my name gets listed onto my internal cookies.

Re: Why do cookies have my name in them, and do the sites I visit see that?

Your name is in your computer...yes from when you setup windows.

Cookies, by definition are not stored on the website server side. They are stored on your computer. So...the websites you are visiting do not really "know who you are"...they are simply reading your locally stored cookie and filling in the blanks on the webpage with the info from your computer.

You can turn off cookies in any web browser preferences, but this will make browsing the web fairly annoying. Most sites use and access cookies they have created on every page or so. So...some sites will not work at all. Some sites will work but you would get error messages that cookies are off every time you load a page, etc...

That is your choice to decided to deal with it or not.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Re: Why do cookies have my name in them, and do the sites I visit see that?

Also, your cookies "should" be limited to the sites that set them - at least for the latest browsers.

That said, I clear my cookies regularly. Let's say w1.com and w2.com use an advertiser at a1.com. The advertiser can know that you visited both sites.

Go Back to forum