• Register
  • Help

Topic: composing with ensemble patches...

Share/Bookmark

composing with ensemble patches...

I used to hate the concept of ensemble patches, but i've been using them on my last project and loving them! I had a lot of composing/arranging to do and I didn't want to mess around with 3 or 4 tracks per string instrument for every articulation i'd need plus the extra cpu demand... the quickness of arranging stuff out is just so slow.

so instead, 3 tracks for legato, pizz and stacc. then i'm off. Its made it easier to chunk out arrangments and I think it'll be easier to fine to it later into individual violin 1 and 2, viola...etc. tracks later.

who else does this?

i do get frustrated that I don't really have sample libraries that bulk every articulation into one track but i got to work with what i got.

Re: composing with ensemble patches...

Quote Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
    I used to hate the concept of ensemble patches, but i've been using them on my last project and loving them! I had a lot of composing/arranging to do and I didn't want to mess around with 3 or 4 tracks per string instrument for every articulation i'd need plus the extra cpu demand... the quickness of arranging stuff out is just so slow.

so instead, 3 tracks for legato, pizz and stacc. then i'm off. Its made it easier to chunk out arrangments and I think it'll be easier to fine to it later into individual violin 1 and 2, viola...etc. tracks later.

who else does this?

i do get frustrated that I don't really have sample libraries that bulk every articulation into one track but i got to work with what i got.

For me this is a good way too.

For composing I often load a piano, my Sonivox Stringensemble and Sonivox brassensemble and compose only with this 3 instruments.

After that I load the special articulations from my other libs and complete the composition.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

yeah i'm using the sonivox strings as well.

I did the basic composition already with just piano, and now sketching out arrangement ideas.

Do the sonivox strings work with K3/3.5 or just K2?

Quote Originally Posted by linwood View Post
    What I use are 2 solo-virtual instruments from Sonivox. I think they are no longer aviable..., can`t find them on their website.

It is something like this:http://sonivoxmi.com/ProductList.asp...ment+%28DVI%29

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by linwood View Post
    I have the whole S.I.S.C. and it is running fine in K 3.5 on Harpertown Macs. K3.5 seems tohave some issues on the new Nehalem 8 cores.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

they work great on k3.5.

not to derail my own thread here but kontakt 3.5 is ridiculously awesome. My projects feel so much snappier! CPU is a bit up but I have plenty of that. and its only a beta!! awesome.

I've always used ensemble patches for composing/arranging - but I seldom use them for the final product. They do make it much easier to immediately see/hear if your idea is going to work.

Once in a while I'll use them for a final if it's a situation where the strings aren't particularly critical or where it's not important that they sound 100% authentic.

I created in K2 an ensemble DXF full orch patch for my EWSO stuff. It works really well in most situations.

Go Back to forum