• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: NI Authorization Limit?

Share/Bookmark

NI Authorization Limit?

Hello All,

I emailed this to NI but haven't heard back from them. I've been working on upgrading my machine and every time I make a change I've been having to re-authorize all my NI powered stuff. So far I've had to do it a few times in the last 2 months.

I'm about to make the switch from XP 32bit to Vista 64bit and I know it'll ask then. I want to upgrade to 6gb memory as well but it probably won't happen at the same time ($$$). And I know I want to switch out the motherboard & CPU for a Quad-Core processor within the next 3-6 months.

So that's at least 3 more times I'll probably be asked to reauthorize.

Does anyone know if there is a limit/time-frame/etc. that will cause me a problem. I can't find any answers in the official NI FAQs, and I don't see anyway to "un"authorize or release a computer (ala something like iTunes).

If there's anyone here who's had experience with this, please share

Thanks in advance.

Update Edit (4/18/09): Upgraded and there were no issues. Yay!
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: NI Authorization Limit?

Hi JP, I have currently 8-10 NI products on two computers, and have installed new CPU's and motherboards. I have had no problems thus far with NI registration. My understanding is that when you install the product and the NI Service Center on your computer, it reads something unique to that machine and assigns a number to it. When a major component is changed (motherboard, CPU, or Operating System) it would require a new registration. I found this on the NI site:
    Note: The end user license agreement (EULA) of Native Instruments' products allows the simultaneous installation on two computers (three computers for all versions of KORE and KOMPLETE), as long as only one installation is used at any given time. It is not necessary to "deactivate" an existing installation to activate the product on a further machine, but due to the license agreement it is required to uninstall the product from the previously used computer.
    There is a path to view all your registrations and serial numbers at NI.
    Go to support/product activation>options for registered users> view my registered products and serial numbers.
    I hope this helps, John

Thanks bigears.

I know it records your system ID but I'm wondering when that finally changes. By the end of all this, I will essentially have a completely new machine (probably most notable change will be the motherboard change).

I'm hoping I won't have any trouble and from your experience it looks like I'll be safe at least up to that motherboard change over.

I've seen what I have registered on my NI profile but it doesn't list anything like the system ID, remaining authorizations, or limits.

Thanks again for the reply!
    JP Garbarini

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

JP, I really don't think you will encounter any problems. The Service Center seems to be working well. You can launch it and click the "Overview" tab to view your products, click on "show details" and you will be able to view all the serial numbers, ID's, and activation keys for your products. Good Luck! John

Hi,
    In general you have two authorizations on NI based products. Sometimes your machine ID changes if making basic hardware changes. If you have reached your authorization limit you can cancel/delete the authorization of a machine (ID) that you do not need anymore in your account. Then you can use this authorization again for your new or modified PC. But be careful: If you have deleted a machine ID you cannot authorize the same machine again with the same serial number.

All the best
    Robert

best service team

One thing I do when before making changes is remove the products, run service center then I have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bestservicerobert View Post
    Hi,
    In general you have two authorizations on NI based products. Sometimes your machine ID changes if making basic hardware changes. If you have reached your authorization limit you can cancel/delete the authorization of a machine (ID) that you do not need anymore in your account. Then you can use this authorization again for your new or modified PC. But be careful: If you have deleted a machine ID you cannot authorize the same machine again with the same serial number.

All the best
    Robert

best service team
    That's exactly what I need to do but I don't see that option anywhere in the service center program. Where do you cancel the ID? Does uninstalling everything automatically do it?

Thanks again for all the help. I've got the new parts (cpu & motherboard... yay for combo deals) so I'm going to start this weekend.
    JP Garbarini

Here is an exchange I had with their email support on 2/19/2007:

I sent:

How do I deactivate the software and move it to a new computer?

They responded with:

To fix this problem, you should uninstall and reinstall your Native Instruments software.

To uninstall the program, use the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

Then reinstall and update the program again. You may also need to re-authorize it using the NI Service Center (or the Registration Tool if your software is an older version).

Your NATIVE INSTRUMENTS Support Team,

Gabriel Ferrer

I thought they misunderstood, so I called their support and the response was "just go ahead and install and authorize it on the new computer." I asked how often I could do this and he said "don't worry about it."

Since that time, I've bought several new computers and have been experimenting with 32 bit and 64 bit systems. Each time I install on a new system the authorization is approved. I've probably authorized every piece of my Komplete package six times. Each time I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach wondering if this time it won't go through; but it does. It's like playing a slot machine.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyo View Post

Since that time, I've bought several new computers and have been experimenting with 32 bit and 64 bit systems. Each time I install on a new system the authorization is approved. I've probably authorized every piece of my Komplete package six times. Each time I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach wondering if this time it won't go through; but it does. It's like playing a slot machine.

J.
    Ahaha! That's is EXACTLY how I feel right now. That great looming feeling that I'm going to have spent a grand upgrading my machine only to find out it suddenly won't authorize lol.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me feel alot better going forward with the upgrade.

Pitty so much of my sound libraries rely on this 1 company. Strange... suddenly I feel better about USB dongles and proprietary sample engines.
    JP Garbarini

what about activating on 2 separate computers?

like a desktop and laptop?

any issues?

thanks

Yves

Go Back to forum