• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Irish tune from county derry

Share/Bookmark

Irish tune from county derry

A new rendering of this PERCY GRAINGER composition I did 3 years ago.
    One day I hope to have enough memory to test the limits of volume.

Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5378299&q=hi

Re: Irish tune from county derry

Gary, this is sounding great! Nice job on this piece, I have a couple of different versions of the Grainger arrangement and yours holds up well with your choice of instruments and the overall blend. The origins of this tune go quite a ways back but I ran across this:
    Rory Dall O'Cahan, an Irish harpist of the 17th century, may have penned the popular Irish tune "The Derry Air" or, "Londonderry Air", in order to lament the destruction of the O' Cahan Clan. Consequently, it may have been originally called "O'Cahan's Lament". The tune is best known as the accompaniment to the song "Danny Boy".
    Thanks for sharing your arrangement and rendering! John

Thanks for listening, John.
    This was one of Maurice McAdoo's favorite pieces we played when I was in the North Texas Concert Band.

Gary

Gary,

Great job on this piece. I love how it builds up to the melody about half way through. Everything blends nicely, sounds great.

Cheers.
    Chris

Thanks for listening, Chris.
    My memories of performing this are about the laid back intensity of
    the Band as the music unfolds.
    Gary

Thanks so much for sharing this! I agree that everything blends so nicely together. It's great!

Thanks for listening, Byondbless.
    Gary

Wonderful, Gary - Such a beautifully heart-tugging piece. You did a great job with it.

---distortion rears its ugly head for the last forte section - and it stays in for a long time. darn.

Which leads me to quote your post:

"...One day I hope to have enough memory to test the limits of volume..."

What do you mean? Having more memory won't give you more volume. You're already testing the limits of volume--and you surpass those limits once in awhile, as in this recording.

Think of this - There is simply a Finite limit to how far sound can be pushed in the digital realm before it crackles and spits - it distorts. When our meters are going into the red - that's the indicator we've reached the limits.

But Volume is a relative thing, and we perceive a recording as being Louder when it's more consistently at a higher decibel level. But loud recordings aren't magically going into a mythical "11" on the meters. They aren't actually Louder.

When mixing, take this project for example, you need to go to that ending chorus first - Set your meters so they don't peak out. That's the maximum volume possible. Now when you start playback, the opening, and most of the piece will be much quieter, because you've limited the max volume to what the peaks of the loudest section are.

If you were doing a pop recording, you'd use compression and volume maximizers to bring the quiet sections up so that the whole recording is more consistently up into the loud end of the scale - but leave that alone, just rest assured that you will have done what you can to ensure that the loud section Is as loud as it can be, but without distorting.

What you've done is have the early part near maximum volume--there's no head room left for when the forte does finally arrive.

See?

You don't need more memory - You just need to keep your mixer's faders much lower than you currently are. Start your mixing section with the loudest part first. - I guarantee - it'll work.

Randy

Oooh! I just love that bass in the forte section! Thanks for sharing this. I love to hear concert band/brass band stuff. Always brings back memories.

Owen

Hello Gary,

A lovely arrangement of a beautiful melody - excellent orchestration. However, I do agree with Randy that there is some distortion near the end. I have always thought that if a person wants more volume just turn the hi-fi up. If you do as Randy says you will have a lovely piece of work.

Best wishes,

Albert

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast