• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Getting Amazing results with 'Crappy' Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Talking Getting Amazing results with 'Crappy' Instruments

Hi Everybody,

I was thinking this afternoon about how lazy people get nowadays when it comes to making music...(especially orchestral)

Virtual instruments are getting easier and easier to play....I mean...look at VSL and EWQL.. The sounds are so amazing and convincing that you can practically play it and it sounds tweaked perfectly

And then Symphobia, gosh! The orchestra is even arranged for you....

Ive encountered some people who are amazing with the above instruments but suck at all the classics....like GPO and Edirol Orchestral.

So i did a crazy little piece to demonstrate that these "old" and "crappy" instruments that some people are so willing to bash, are not so bad afterall.

Here goes....

This is made with just Edirol orchestral and a silly little drum soundfont.

http://www.box.net/shared/7qgc33f1ri

Anyone got some amazing results with older instruments they wanna share?

Re: Getting Amazing results with 'Crappy' Instruments

Heckler,

I don't have stuff that I can share, but I would like to say that I enjoyed your tune. I wish it had gone on longer.

I'm currently disciplining myself to stop purchasing things when I can't find what I want in my current setup and possessions. It's been a great challenge, and is forcing me to get to know my currently libraries much better, and how to adjust and tweak to get the sound I want. It's a little like what you did, but not.

Best,

Mark LaPierre

Cool demo! I remember using Edirol Orchestral, it really was a great library. The problem with it is that there are only a handful of really good articulations (string tremolos are amazing, and I remember that the flute was pretty darn good). Brass sounds are pretty good too!

I think the major difference is that, in order to get a "cool" sound with it, like the one you achieved, you were forced into excluding MANY of the lesser articulations.

The difference btwn Edirol-Orchestral and VSL is similar to the difference between working with an intermediate instrumentalist and an experienced virtuoso... The few times I've had the chance to work with seasoned musicians, I found that I had to do a LOT less work-- less explaining, less takes, less time.

Working with better samples does mean less work... so that I can spend more time worrying about the music, and NOT coaxing samples into sounding the way I want them.

Does that make me spoiled? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I was thinking this afternoon about how lazy people get nowadays when it comes to making music...(especially orchestral)

Virtual instruments are getting easier and easier to play....I mean...look at VSL and EWQL.. The sounds are so amazing and convincing that you can practically play it and it sounds tweaked perfectly

And then Symphobia, gosh! The orchestra is even arranged for you....

Ive encountered some people who are amazing with the above instruments but suck at all the classics....like GPO and Edirol Orchestral.

So i did a crazy little piece to demonstrate that these "old" and "crappy" instruments that some people are so willing to bash, are not so bad afterall.

Here goes....

This is made with just Edirol orchestral and a silly little drum soundfont.

http://www.box.net/shared/7qgc33f1ri

Anyone got some amazing results with older instruments they wanna share?

Nice groove Heckler, but listen to just about any VSL demo by Guy Bacos www.guybacos.com and you will hear the difference between VSL and other libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by aplanchard View Post
    Nice groove Heckler, but listen to just about any VSL demo by Guy Bacos www.guybacos.com and you will hear the difference between VSL and other libraries.
    VSL is good if you want dry, but at the end of the day just as good music can be made with several other libraries if the person knows the library well enough, is as skilled with it, and puts in the time.

It's the guy, not the gear, by and large.

And also at the end of the day, NONE of them sound like the real thing when you put it next to the real thing.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I agree and disagree with Jay. in terms of pure compositional skills, yes, I agree that it's the composer, not the equipment. However, if you have to provide a finished product to your client these days, it's harder to bring in something that blows them away using an Emu Proteus 2 or whatever than using EWQLSO Platinum Pro PLAY. That's just a fact.

Then again, I know guys who have phenomenal chops doing great demos for sampled orchestra but somehow fall short when they have to write for the real thing (sorry but there is a difference). so this is not a black and white issue.

I really liked this little demo that Heckler put together though. Nicely mixed, good groove, catchy. I also like how you went a little 3rd stream, which benefits the sound set you used.

Sometimes I try to just limit myself to MOTU Symphonic Instrument to see if I can come up with a great sounding demo (because frankly, it kinda sucks compared to everything else out there). Or HALion Symphony Orchestra (which doesn't suck but got no support from Steinberg).

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    And also at the end of the day, NONE of them sound like the real thing when you put it next to the real thing.
    Which doesn't have to mean that the real thing sounds better, just more real. ;-)

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein View Post
    Which doesn't have to mean that the real thing sounds better, just more real. ;-)

Chris Hein
    mmhhh what does that mean!It seems to me that the goal of "orchestral" libraries is to sound like the real thing as close as possible no? so although we are still far from this, "more real" is always better!!
    Don't get me wrong, I like and work with a lot of those librairies including yours

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    at the end of the day, NONE of them sound like the real thing when you put it next to the real thing.
    here is an old project I did for Gary Garritan. I know I know,, poke fun at it because it's GPO, well some of it is

http://www.dankury.com/music/DvorakC&SMovement1.mp3

Talking Re: Getting Amazing results with 'Crappy' Instruments

The other day I was listening an orchestra play on my television: mostly strings and I caught myslelf thinking "those strings don't sound very real"......oooops!

Go Back to forum