• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 3.5 and GPO and JABB

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 3.5 and GPO and JABB

Well. . . finally. . . Native-Instruments has the Kontakt 3.5 free update available for its owners. However, it's a public beta version which will expire on July 1st. Native-Instruments has said that the full working version of the Kontakt 3.5 update will be available before July 1st. (This is difficult to believe because they've been saying for MONTHS that the 3.5 version would be available. Many, many Months!).

On a positive note, they've developed the "Memory Server" which, theoretically, will enable much more RAM to be utilized to load the instruments. I haven't had the time to load 4 GB's of instruments yet (which is the amount of RAM installed on my happy MacBook Pro) so I can't say if the "Memory Server" feature is working properly. But, with regards to this feature, all seems to be working well for me when any amount of memory us used when loading up the software instruments.

However there is one very significant negative note. Any time I load an instrument from either the GPO or JABB library, the Kontakt 3.5 program unexpectedly quits. In other words, it "crashes". For me, I can reproduce this "crash" ALL OF THE TIME. UGH! As evidenced on the Native-Instruments support forums (there's one forum set up specifically for the public beta version of Kontakt 3.5), other users are experiencing the same problem as well. So, I am not alone.

Interestingly, the Garritan Stradivari and Gofriller libraries work just fine with Kontakt 3.5. No other instrumental libraries causes this crash. So far, the crash-problem seems to occur just with the GPO and JABB libraries.

Anyway. . . because this version of Kontakt 3.5 is a public-beta version, problems are expected to occur. I've reported this problem with the Native-Instruments developing team. Hopefully a reason for the crash will be found, and a solution will be worked out.

Thank goodness I still have the Kontakt 2 Player on my MacBook Pro. All remains to work just fine with the Kontakt 2 Player.

So. . . If anyone nut like me decides to go for the Kontakt 3.5 public-beta update, be aware that things might not go well for the GPO and JABB libraries. My happy MacBook Pro computer is used mainly as a software instrumental library "slave computer". In other words, I just use this lovely computer to generate the sounds therefore sharing the CPU and memory usage when I sequence. (I have a happy Mac Pro computer using Logic Pro 8 which I use as the "main computer".)

This is my first time that I allowed myself to be a public-beta tester of any software program.

Just one more thought to share. . .

I am really, really, really, really looking forward to the Garritan Aria software program to run my happy GPO and JABB libraries! Yep! I'm really excited about that Garritan Aria program!

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: Kontakt 3.5 and GPO and JABB

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    Well. . . finally. . . Native-Instruments has the Kontakt 3.5 free update available for its owners. However, it's a public beta version which will expire on July 1st. Native-Instruments has said that the full working version of the Kontakt 3.5 update will be available before July 1st. (This is difficult to believe because they've been saying for MONTHS that the 3.5 version would be available. Many, many Months!).

On a positive note, they've developed the "Memory Server" which, theoretically, will enable much more RAM to be utilized to load the instruments. I haven't had the time to load 4 GB's of instruments yet (which is the amount of RAM installed on my happy MacBook Pro) so I can't say if the "Memory Server" feature is working properly. But, with regards to this feature, all seems to be working well for me when any amount of memory us used when loading up the software instruments.

However there is one very significant negative note. Any time I load an instrument from either the GPO or JABB library, the Kontakt 3.5 program unexpectedly quits. In other words, it "crashes". For me, I can reproduce this "crash" ALL OF THE TIME. UGH! As evidenced on the Native-Instruments support forums (there's one forum set up specifically for the public beta version of Kontakt 3.5), other users are experiencing the same problem as well. So, I am not alone.

Interestingly, the Garritan Stradivari and Gofriller libraries work just fine with Kontakt 3.5. No other instrumental libraries causes this crash. So far, the crash-problem seems to occur just with the GPO and JABB libraries.

Anyway. . . because this version of Kontakt 3.5 is a public-beta version, problems are expected to occur. I've reported this problem with the Native-Instruments developing team. Hopefully a reason for the crash will be found, and a solution will be worked out.

Thank goodness I still have the Kontakt 2 Player on my MacBook Pro. All remains to work just fine with the Kontakt 2 Player.

So. . . If anyone nut like me decides to go for the Kontakt 3.5 public-beta update, be aware that things might not go well for the GPO and JABB libraries. My happy MacBook Pro computer is used mainly as a software instrumental library "slave computer". In other words, I just use this lovely computer to generate the sounds therefore sharing the CPU and memory usage when I sequence. (I have a happy Mac Pro computer using Logic Pro 8 which I use as the "main computer".)

This is my first time that I allowed myself to be a public-beta tester of any software program.

Just one more thought to share. . .

I am really, really, really, really looking forward to the Garritan Aria software program to run my happy GPO and JABB libraries! Yep! I'm really excited about that Garritan Aria program!

Cheers!

Ted
    It could be a bug identified in the K3.5 scripting. Up until this version, string variables could be initialized and used prior to setting a value. In other words, they defaulted to an empty string without you explicitly setting them as such. K3.5 does not do this implicit defaulting, and so it causes a crash.

I don't know if this is the problem for GPO and JABB because I have not looked into the code, but I think it's a possibility. In any event, the issue has been reported to NI.

Exclamation Re: Kontakt 3.5 and GPO and JABB

I have the exact same problem, I also send in a bug report. Hopefully NI will fix it soon. Life of a beta tester
    K3 / GPO / Leopard Intel iMac 2nd GEN / Logic Express

Re: Kontakt 3.5 and GPO and JABB

Quick Update -

Just read a response from Native-Instrument's special Public-Beta forum for the Kontakt 3.5 program. The response was written by one of the software developers. As other product users had suggested, he confirmed that the problem was due to a corrupt script string (or something like that) and that the issue should be resolved with the next beta version of the Kontakt 3 program.

First, it is very nice to read that the issue was investigated and, basically, that work was being done to correct it. Second, it is nice that a developer responded at all (he's done so a number of times to various issues raised in the Public-Beta forums). Other hardware/software product employees don't respond at all to any issues raised in their forums. (I'm thinking of Apple employee developers specifically.)

Now. . . all I have to do is wait for the next public-beta version of Kontakt 3.x to be released.

(Patience is a virtue, so I'm told. LOL! )

By the way. . . did I mention that I'm really, really, really, really looking forward to the GPO version of Aria?? Yep! Real excited about its release!

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum