• Register
  • Help

Topic: First post, and as usual some help needed

First post, and as usual some help needed

Hello everyone,

I have had GPO for some time now, but due to personal circumstances, work etc. I have only just got round to working with it.
    Attached is the link to a file Elevazione - Zipoli. It is a work in progress and I am struggling with concept of computer music making mainly the mixing and mastering area.
    I have been an avid reader of the forum for some considerable time now and I am in wonder at what the people here can do with GPO, and I live in hope that some of you will make suggestions as to how I can improve the output.
    I realise that people have their own time constraints, however, if you can help I would very much appreciate it.
    I very much hope in the future that I will be able to contribute to the forum, but at the present time I do not feel sufficiently qualified to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Albert!

Very beautiful music! Your mixing and rendering sound just fine to me. I think you have a great handle on the GPO.

How to improve the output? Not sure. I personally would add a touch more reverb. Set the players back a bit more.

... qualified to contribute to this forum. Great job and wonderful introduction!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Re: First post, and as usual some help needed

Hi Albert,

We don't get much of Domenico Zipoli's loftiness around here, so it's nice that you posted this!

Your arrangement of this Baroque piece is interesting, especially the back and forth between solo cello and oboe. The string scoring sounds quite good for a first effort, as does the solo cello. I would suggest, however, working out the phrasing for the oboe. Sections of the part can certainly be tongued, but there are phrases that would sound better slurred (i.e., with the "pedal" down, cc64). All the oboe trills sound especially uncharacteristic - no oboist on Earth is going to tongue every one of those trill notes.

Otherwise, keep up the good work, hope to hear more in the near future!

Thanks Michael and DarwinKopp for your helpful replies.

With regard to the sustain pedal the one I have, at the moment, only works intermittently so I have stopped using it. However, I am wondering can I use the pedal facility in the staff view in Sonar, to input cc64 messages? I am not very clued up on this computer music stuff.

Looking back on my original post I don't think that I fully explained the problem I am trying to solve regarding the mixing and mastering. I am quite happy with the levels of both the cellos and the basses, but I am trying to make them more "open", as if to give them more air. I hope I have explained myself a bit better this time. I am not sure whether it is possible, however, if it is I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks again for your comments.

Hi Albert:

Welcome to the Garritan Listening Room......part of a great Forum.

I think your first entry using GPO is really great. I would try to
    accomplish what Darwin said in his post which would make the oboe
    sound equally great.

It is a pleasure to have you with us and I look forward to hearing
    more of your GPO offerings.........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hello, Albert "Gypsy"

What a truly elegant piece you've posted for our enjoyment. Thank you so much!

In the rendering of this, there's much to admire. Now let me address the technical issues by quoting you and replying:

"...However, I am wondering can I use the pedal facility in the staff view in Sonar, to input cc64 messages?..."

Darwin was certainly right that the major problem with your current recording of this is the trills on the Oboe. You explained that your keyboard's sustain pedal seems to be having a problem--luckily using the cc64 that you Must use isn't dependent on having an operating pedal.

Yes, you could insert the events in the Staff View of Sonar - but a much more accurate and satisfactory place to do it is in the Piano Roll View.

This "PRV" is the Heart of Sonar - it's the MIDI editing screen, and where you'll eventually be doing most of your work.

In the PRV, you ask to work with CC64. Insert a full on value of 127 directly AFTER the first note in a legato/slurred passage. Then at the end of this continuous passage, insert a full off value of Zero. Also be sure the notes are at least slightly overlapping.

Go try that with your Oboe's passages. You will be thrilled. The impossible effect you now have, with every note being tongued, will melt away into a realistic slur, just as required.

"...I am quite happy with the levels of both the cellos and the basses, but I am trying to make them more "open", as if to give them more air..."

That's the main function of Reverb. It simulates a performance venue, but when it's laid on so thickly that we hear a really distinct REVERB effect, it's too much. It's primary function is to provide the "air" around the instruments that you're wanting to hear. So, in other words, a bit more reverb on this recording would be helpful.

Beautiful piece of music. I request that you follow the tips on your thread here, and record it again for us to hear. Would you please?

Thank you for the post!

Jack and Randy,

Thanks for your replies and very helpful suggestions. I am now busy looking into the mysterious PRV view in Sonar.

Thanks for listening.

Best wishes.

Randy is an expert withy both GPO and Sonar and won't steer you wrong. I spend 99% of my time with Sonar in the PRV. You add the Controlers by going up to the top left corner of the view. Not only can you add cc64 there, but you make adjustments to all of your cc data there.

One of the things that will help your Cello come to life more is to vary cc1 a bit more than you are now.

Same with the other instruments.

A great start though!!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Go Back to forum