Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHurn View Post
    Hi everyone,

Here is a new one from me.

End of an Era
    5:55, mp3 download.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Great work, Mr. Chris!

Your restrained use of tubular bells is excellent and your horn work is outstanding also. The entire piece is realistic.

I have always enjoyed your work. You are a very talented young man.

Please tell us which samples you used.

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: End of an Era

Thank you Larry.

Most of this is GPO (all strings, harp, woodwinds, some brass, timpani, piano, etc.). Stormdrum for additional percussion and East West silver for choir, horn doubles and one or two other things.

I spent a good amount of time with GPO using the ensemble patches, and then layering several solo patches over the top, adding subtle bends, different dynamics, etc. GPO is by far my favorite library to work with.

Chris

Hi Chris, I enjoyed this new piece. You really are achieving a good sound with your sample libraries, certainly nothing here to quibble about. Seems like it would fit right into a cinematic soundtrack. Nice work and thanks for sharing it here! John

Hi everyone,

Here is a new one from me.

End of an Era
    5:55, mp3 download.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Sounds wonderful Chris!

May I be so bold and ask you what software besides the Garriton samples you are using?

Best, John
    Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!

Wow, excellent sound, impressive, the strings sounds great, and all this details (flutes, horns) and of course the overall feeling of your work. Congratulations.

Víctor

John, John and Victor, thank you for listening!

As for your question on software John, the bulk of it is GPO. I used East West silver for the Choir, a double of the french horn and doubling of some low strings (only in the middle section with the big horn line, though!). And then the percussion you hear coming in half way is Stormdrum.

I sequence in Sonar, and basically add CC#1 data as I go, making "hills", swells, whatever I see fit. Then I go over it several times throughout the writing on every single part, making it fairly random - so it doesn't come across as too mechanical. (I'd be happy to go into more detail on this process, just let me know)

All the strings are doubled with solo patches, sometimes two or three patches in some places. (Also GPO). It is on the solo patches that I add subtle bends, differences in note lengths etc, to try and get a more realistic and less perfect sound. I could spend a lot longer doing this to get a better result but I think it's fine for a demo.

Thanks again!
    Chris

Chris

Very nice

Which version of sonar are you usimg and which reverbs?

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

John, John and Victor, thank you for listening!

As for your question on software John, the bulk of it is GPO. I used East West silver for the Choir, a double of the french horn and doubling of some low strings (only in the middle section with the big horn line, though!). And then the percussion you hear coming in half way is Stormdrum.

I sequence in Sonar, and basically add CC#1 data as I go, making "hills", swells, whatever I see fit. Then I go over it several times throughout the writing on every single part, making it fairly random - so it doesn't come across as too mechanical. (I'd be happy to go into more detail on this process, just let me know)

All the strings are doubled with solo patches, sometimes two or three patches in some places. (Also GPO). It is on the solo patches that I add subtle bends, differences in note lengths etc, to try and get a more realistic and less perfect sound. I could spend a lot longer doing this to get a better result but I think it's fine for a demo.

Thanks again!
    Chris
    Thanks for sharing. I'm all ears if you want to go in detail with your process. I have no experience with Sonar or the GPO, but I'm certainly ready to learn.

You mentioned this is fine for a demo. I think it's great for a finished product. Could be inserted directly in a major film in my opinion.

Best, John
    Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!

It sounds excellent, Chris, very excellent!

and a great first click in the listening room after being away for a while. I agree it would make a great soundtrack for the cinema.

David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast