• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: MIDI File - To Garriton Piano Sample

Share/Bookmark

HELP! MIDI File - To Garritan Piano Sample

Wondering if anyone can help me?

I'm considering purchasing the Garritan samples. If I do, will I be able to convert MIDI files such as this: http://schicksville.com/Music/T-PIANO.MID to Garritan's Virtual Concert Grand.

Also, if it can be done, what computer software would I need to complete this task.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Best, John
    Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!

Re: MIDI File - To Garriton Piano Sample

Hi John,

The Garritan Authorized Steinway includes everything you need to turn that MIDI file into audio produced by the instrument.

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi John,

The Garritan Authorized Steinway includes everything you need to turn that MIDI file into audio produced by the instrument.

Best,
    Reegs
    Thanks Reegs!

I was wondering if I'd need a complete DAW system to perform such a task. I guess not. So would the Garritan orchestra samples work in the same manner?

Then can I make wav files from the audio by using my SoundForge program.

Best, John

Edit: What I need to know is how to turn this MIDI file into a Garritan Autorized Steinway wav file. Will I need some added software to do this?

Johnny-Boy,

"...Edit: What I need to know is how to turn this MIDI file into a Garritan Autorized Steinway wav file. Will I need some added software to do this?..."

Reegs already answered that in his first post. When you open the "stand alone" version of the Steinway, it has the facility to record a MIDI file.

GPO doesn't work in the same way, no. For that you would need sequencing software like Sonar, or a notation program like Sibelius.

"...Then can I make wav files from the audio by using my SoundForge program..."

The audio output IS in .wav files. You're not "making" them when you bring audio into SoundForge. That's an audio editing program, and I use it, but most of the work you'd want to do with audio can now be done in DAWs like Sonar.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Johnny-Boy,

"...Edit: What I need to know is how to turn this MIDI file into a Garritan Autorized Steinway wav file. Will I need some added software to do this?..."

Reegs already answered that in his first post. When you open the "stand alone" version of the Steinway, it has the facility to record a MIDI file.

GPO doesn't work in the same way, no. For that you would need sequencing software like Sonar, or a notation program like Sibelius.

"...Then can I make wav files from the audio by using my SoundForge program..."

The audio output IS in .wav files. You're not "making" them when you bring audio into SoundForge. That's an audio editing program, and I use it, but most of the work you'd want to do with audio can now be done in DAWs like Sonar.

Randy B.
    Thanks Randy!

I just checked out the system requirements for the Garritan standalone Steinway (Basic) and my computer falls short. I only have 751 MHz, 320MB of Ram. I imagine the first thing I need is a new computer.

Best, John

OH my - yes, you'll need a more powerful computer to do any computer music projects. I'm limping along with 1 gig RAM, 4 is standard on new machines now, and 8 is becoming more common since these programs just eat up the resources.

Best of luck getting an uprgrade, Johnny-Boy.

Randy B.

OH my - yes, you'll need a more powerful computer to do any computer music projects. I'm limping along with 1 gig RAM, 4 is standard on new machines now, and 8 is becoming more common since these programs just eat up the resources.

Best of luck getting an uprgrade, Johnny-Boy.

Randy B.
    Thanks again Randy! Yes, I'll definitely be purchasing a new computer - and very soon (and probably Sonar8 as well). Gotta join this Garritan club here. I'm so impressed with the music being produced on this site.

I see there are Dells now with 4 gigs of Ram for around $400.

Best, John

Excellent, JB - Yes, computers that'll give you a lot of bang for your buck are very available now. Pretty amazing - machines at 4 and 5 hundred which were 1 and 2 THousand not that long ago.

Get that machine and get that Sonar*--Jump into this Forum even more. So glad to hear you're enjoying it here and have been enjoying the music. Lots of great stuff put out by the members here for sure!

See you soon.

Randy

* To budget your $ - Let me suggest that you really don't need to get Sonar 8. I only got that very recently. I've been perfectly happy with the Home Studio line of Sonar programs. They are not toy apps in the least. And at 1/4 the price, certainly worth looking in to.

Excellent, JB - Yes, computers that'll give you a lot of bang for your buck are very available now. Pretty amazing - machines at 4 and 5 hundred which were 1 and 2 THousand not that long ago.

Get that machine and get that Sonar*--Jump into this Forum even more. So glad to hear you're enjoying it here and have been enjoying the music. Lots of great stuff put out by the members here for sure!

See you soon.

Randy

* To budget your $ - Let me suggest that you really don't need to get Sonar 8. I only got that very recently. I've been perfectly happy with the Home Studio line of Sonar programs. They are not toy apps in the least. And at 1/4 the price, certainly worth looking in to.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Home Studio line of Sonar programs Randy.

Best, John

I can definitely agree with that -- I use sonar 7 myself but most things I do in that program I was able to do in Home Studio 2004! So it'll be fine. Good luck with your upgrade.

Chris

Go Back to forum