• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 8 Crashing on Load/Save with Large Kontakt3 Multi

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 8 Crashing on Load/Save with Large Kontakt3 Multi

(Copy of a thread from Sonar fourms)

Wow, what a hassle it has been tracking this down.

In an effort to set aside a few peripheral computers I used to use with Gigastudio (large orchestras), and in keeping with the move to 64 bit, the fact that I now have a Quad Core machine, mucho RAM, and an outstanding sample set in Kirk Hunter's Ruby, I drank the koolade and tried letting Kontakt 3 man up and carry the burden of a large KH Ruby orchestra as a plugin. Amazingly my machine is handling it (as far as I have pushed it) going up to a almost gig of preload (where it so happens my total memory comsumption is still under 4 gigs). Big ol' orchestra running nicely alongside Superior 2.1 and two instances of Trilogy.

That is... UNTIL I try to save the project and BOOM, Sonar goes off into Not Responding land, always leaving orphaned Bit Bridge and Sonar processes that cannot be terminated even through task manager. Have to reboot, and sometimes I can't even do that without a hard boot (power down). While trying to pare back the multi size (experimenting), I was able to save once or twice but noticed I could get a hit or miss on the same kind of crash while loading the projects I was using to troubleshoot this. I also noticed that when I was opening a project and Kontakt3 was loading samples it took FOREVER to load up. But when you're IN Sonar, Kontakt3 loads instruments really (or relatively) quickly.

Then I had an inspiration. I saved the large orchestra configuration as a custom multi inside Kontakt, which is easy and issue-free to do, and of course all the Sonar midi channels are wired up as needed. Then, before saving the overall project I just unloaded the Multi.

Two things happen. First I am able to save and reopen very quickly with no adverse effect. Second, once the project is up, I can load the custom Multi in Kontakt 3 and it loads up lickety split, with no issues. So this is a magic bullet workaround with the only downside being I have to unload my multi to save the project and then reload it to resume work or on an initial load at the beginning of my work session.

So, it's not an issue with running the project, which works just fine. It's that I can't save or open these large-Kontakt3-multi projects without Sonar 8 crashing. Since I have a workaround I am able to work happily - not sure why I am posting here other than to share... maybe see if anybody has seem similar problems.

(Just fyi, yes I tried the K3.5 beta, same issue, but I reverted back to the previous version to eliminate 3.5 as a suspect).

Some specs: Vista 64 SP1, Sonar 8 64, Intel Core2 Quad 2.67GHz, 6GB RAM

Cheers mates !

Steve

Re: Sonar 8 Crashing on Load/Save with Large Kontakt3 Multi

Hey Steve, thanks for sharing... A lot of times, we pull our hair out trying to get around stuff like this and this is definitely a simple and effective work around...

I have the EXACT same configuration as you, and was experience similar headaches using Kontakt. Though I also have an issue once it comes time to bounce everything. I'm unable to bounce "quickly", can only use the realtime method or else Sonar crashes.

Do you experience this as well?

Thanks!

I haven't tried to bounce anything with the new setup yet, Alex. Still refactoring the life-long project from Hell that has lived through numerous iterations of DAW, OS, and Soft Sampler Du Jour.

I've gotten used to the unload-multi to save trick though... not too agredious. Working with those Ruby strings is worth the trouble.

Cheers,
    Steve

I'm pulling up an old thread with a new question:

By "unload" do you mean "Purge All Samples" on the Purge menu? I've found that Kontakt is more reliable when loading large projects/samples or rapidly swapping instruments/patches if I load thins in "Purge Mode". There is an option to always do this in the Options dialog box.

It's a pain - because you have to manually "Reload All Samples" via the Purge menu for each instance of Kontakt after all the instruments/multis are loaded. But it's better than a crash.

Kontakt has really annoyed me over the years. Perhaps this arises because it deals with a LOT of data; but I'm always a little on edge using it in a project thanks to the relative instability.

Go Back to forum