• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Motorcycle crash

Share/Bookmark

OT - Motorcycle crash

Hey everybody. I know I haven't been very active in this forum lately, but I have something like a public service announcement. Yesterday I was involved in a 30-40mph crash on my motorcycle after braking and swerving to avoid some fool making a left turn less than 20ft in front of me while I had the right of way. (He continued his turn and then fled). By the grace of God I have no broken bones or internal injuries, and the helmet saved me a nasty bump and scrape to the jaw, but both my arms look like hamburger. If I'd been wearing leathers, I'd almost certainly be back at work this morning. So...

If you drive a car - WATCH OUT FOR MOTORCYCLES.
    If you drive a bike - WEAR ALL THE GEAR!!!

Thanks for listening.
    -Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: OT - Motorcycle crash

That's why I prefer walking, though, my wife broke her foot while walking, so that doesn't seem save after all........ STAY AT HOME!!!!!

http://www.drianostudios.com/Indoor%20accidents.jpg

Raymond

OH Man--That's the worst, Chris! Well - it actually could've been a lot worse, as you pointed out. But what a very big drag. Are insurance companies involved? You talked with the driver of the car?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Are insurance companies involved?
    I'll probably sell the bike for parts to avoid higher premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You talked with the driver of the car?
    He (possibly she) ran away like a little weasel.

-Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Sorry to hear about your accident. Unfortunately, motorcyclist may think they have the right of way but the person in a car or truck doesn't recognize the right applies to the cyclist as well.
    My twin rides a Harley with all the leather gear, heavy support boots, gloves, helmet, and most important gear (although nothing to do with safety) a girlfriend riding on back.
    Anyway, take care and take a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    .................. gloves, helmet, and most important gear (although nothing to do with safety) a girlfriend riding on back.
    Don't agree with you. A girlfriend riding on back is saver. Why? At least they see her ON YOUR motorcycle. Of course, that depends on the girlfriend......

Raymond

Who says the girlfriend doesn't make you safer? I've always driven much better with my wife on the back Not that it would have helped this time around. I'm glad she wasn't there.

-Chris P.

Thank God you weren't hurt worse, Chris. So glad you are alive. I have seen wrecks where the people didn't come out so well.

On December 8, I was in a crash on the freeway at about 60 mph, in a Mazda. My muscles and the area where the shoulder strap crosses, were very sore for a little over a week, but other than that everything OK... except the car was totaled.

So I hope and pray your pain is not going to last that long and no lasting effects. Losing vehicles is so much better than what could have been.

David

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute View Post
    If you drive a bike - WEAR ALL THE GEAR!!!
    Chris

I sympathize. About 3 years ago I went down on Georgia 400 (aka The Georgia Autobahn) during morning rush hour. I was only doing about 35 mph, had been sitting in traffic for 1 1/2 hours feathering the clutch, when my mind went blank. As the car in front of me started to move off, I hit the throttle before realizing that they were just racing to the next hard stop. I hit the brakes on my ST1300 (linked front and rear) and the back end fishtailed out from under me. I just pulled my knees to the tank and rode out the slide. Crashing into the car in front of me stopped my slide. I had a few scratches on my helmet, a 2 inch hole in my Docker's, and a sore shoulder - but that's it. A scape or two on the bike, but no real damage.

While you're laid up, try reading "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling". I promise you will enjoy the books.

The long term effect is that I don't get on super slabs anymore and I'm paranoid when I ride. Sometimes I get highly agitated, as in a panic attack, when I'm riding and see some of the idiot moves people pull. When that happens, I find a place to pull over for a while. Driving in Georgia has no rules from outward appearances. People don't use turn signals because it's "none of your business where I'm going".

Because of that experience, I don't ride very much anymore. I use to ride all the time, rain or shine. Now I ride occasionally on weekends where I can travel the surface streets without much traffic and only ride for short durations if the nuts are out and about. Before the going down episode, I was run onto the shoulder of the road 4 times - each time by a Soccer Mom in an SUV changing lanes without looking and talking on a cell phone. I support the ban of cell usage while driving (the physiological reasons are another post, perhaps) - make the ban nationwide! While hands free devices improve the situation, I say ban ALL cell phone usage by the driver.

As you can see, I am somewhat reluctant to share my opinion on this subject with everyone

After encountering the Soccer Moms, I pioneered the technique of changing lanes on a motorcycle with a Glock - "Don't move you creep - I'm coming over..."

That's me getting ready for a ride. My temperament exactly.

Ride safe!

dave

Go Back to forum