• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I Request Silence

Share/Bookmark

I Request Silence

Hello All,

I am posting this so you can hear what I have been working on this past weeks. Saturday, the college I've been taking classes at is sponsoring an exhibit of Pablo Neruda paintings. He is a graphic artist from Puerto Rico who has passed recently at the age of 102, I believe. Our composition class was asked to write music to accompany the poems he wrote to accompany the paintings. I choose two of those poems and this is the second:

I Request Silence

The painting depicts cliffs and sea waves with fields of yellow flowers. He speaks of his coming death and his outlook on passing. Here is the partial text that I used (by the way, it sounds so much better in Spanish):

I re-quest si-lence.
    I re-quest si-lence.
    si-lence.
    si-lence.
    si-lence.
    Now leave me tran-quil.
    Now get used to with-out me.
    with-out me.
    I will close my eyes
    And I just want five things,
    five fa-'vrite roots.
    One is love love with-out end.
    Se-cond is to see see the au-tumn.
    au-tumn.
    I can-not be with-out the leaf
    the leaf
    fly fly and re-turn to the earth.
    Third is the win-ter,
    the ser-i-ous win-ter,
    the rain that I loved, the ca-ress
    of the fi-re in the wild cold.
    Fourth is sum-mer
    round as a wa-ter-mel-lon.
    mel-lon.
    Fifth is your eyes,
    my be-lov-ed Ma-til-de,
    I don't want to sleep with-out your eyes,
    I don't want to be with-out you look-ing at me:
    I change the spring
    for you to con-tin-ue look-ing at me.
    Now if you want you can leave.
    I have lived so much that one day
    You will have to for-get for force,
    fa-ding off the slate:
    my heart was end-less.
    was end-less.
    But be-cause I re-quest si-lence
    re-quest si-lence
    Don't think that I will die:
    it hap-pens just the op-po-site,
    it hap-pens that I will live.
    that I will live.
    It hap-pens that I am and that I con-tin-ue.
    that I con-tin-ue.
    Now, as al-ways, it's ear-ly.
    The light flies with the bees
    Leave me a-lone the day.
    I re-quest per-mis-sion to be born.

The piece will be performed with a vocalist this Saturday. At the exhibition Saturday there will be several dignitaries including our State Representative and the Secretary of State from Puerto Rico.

The recording you will hear is all Garritan samples. I used Finale '09 to render the piece and an oboe performs the vocal line (Finale's vocal samples still need help).

Here is:

I Request Silence

Best Regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: I Request Silence

Bravo Bill!

You've done it again. I really like this piece. I hope you'll post it with the vocalist.

Steve Winkler

Steve - Thanks. I found this and the other poem (Ode to Yellow Flowers) a fun, but difficult project. If they do a recording Saturday, I certainly will post it. Thanks for listening,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

What a fascinating project, Bill! This must have been very engrossing to work on.

I enjoy being surprised, and I was when I heard your piece after reading the poem. Much more drama and tension than I expected - Exciting to feel your mind and musical abilities at work, coming up with what for me was an eye-opening surprise approach.

It would be a very interesting follow-up if you could post the performance with the vocalist. Why don't you bring a laptop and record it yourself, to be sure of getting it down.

Thanks for a very intriguing experience! And have a wonderful time on Saturday - an event to always remember.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What a fascinating project, Bill! This must have been very engrossing to work on.

I enjoy being surprised, and I was when I heard your piece after reading the poem. Much more drama and tension than I expected - Exciting to feel your mind and musical abilities at work, coming up with what for me was an eye-opening surprise approach.

It would be a very interesting follow-up if you could post the performance with the vocalist. Why don't you bring a laptop and record it yourself, to be sure of getting it down.

Thanks for a very intriguing experience! And have a wonderful time on Saturday - an event to always remember.

Randy
    Randy - Yes, it did keep me busy. Yes, the poem is melancholy, but it was also written while he was contemplating death. I tried to get the 'angst' of his feelings in along with the love for his departed wife Matilda. I wish I had a copy of the artwork that this goes with and you would understand the underlaying grief and fear of Pablo.

Thanks for listening,

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Strange, surprising, not fully understood (including the poem), nicely rendered, but forgive me, it .....is not my taste, I just don't know.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Strange, surprising, not fully understood (including the poem), nicely rendered, but forgive me, it .....is not my taste, I just don't know.

Raymond
    Glad you listened, even if it wasn't your 'cup-of-tea'. Music should be a journey, even if we don't like where it goes.

There is another in these sets of poems called "Ode to Some Yellow Flowers" Maybe you would like to hear that also.

Best Regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Very interesting piece Bill. For some strange reason it drew me in very quickly for something I don't usually listen to. I like it.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

I know Neruda as a poet – I never knew he painted.

I really liked this, though I’m betting that having a vocalist will make it that much better. Great that it’s going to be performed. I hope you can get a recording to post.
    Trent P. McDonald

Bill

I always think it is imporatant to grab a listener right away. You do that here with the first 5 notes.

Much of this brings to mind Alfred Hitchcock movies.

Nice to hear that it will be performed.

Well done.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast