• Register
  • Help

Topic: The dark side of Christmas

Share/Bookmark

The dark side of Christmas

I have just finished - well, abandoned; you all know what I mean - a new tune.

What I mean by the "dark side of Christmas" is the part of the story where Herod, determined to prevent anyone else from rising to the throne, kills all boys under the age of two in Bethlehem and in the surrounding area.

Yes, it's an unusual part to draw inspiration from, but here it is:

"Rachel Is Weeping":
    http://www.box.net/shared/bq8o7nahgx

Featuring:

Several Omnisphere patches, EXS patches (modified), GPO Strings, EXS strings, GPO Gongs, Kontakt 3 Duduk.

Rob

Re: The dark side of Christmas

Well done.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Rob, I have Atmosphere and it is indeed an awesome library,
    capable of expressing any mood the user wants.

Thank you for posting this, and also for posting the details
    of what sounds were used,,
    that is so important on this forum, to keep from misleading listeners.

King Herod sure was a lonely soul.

Dan

Hi, Rob - I'm really glad to have the rare opportunity to hear some of your work.

Those Omnisphere patches can be so rich - great use of them in this. I keep wishing I could stretch my home studio budget to bring that library into my arsenal. Hearing this inspires me to consider it again.

Interesting choice to have the very prominent pop drum loop dominating the track. It kept the scene moving forward, and its anachronistic contribution didn't bother me really, but out of curiosity, as I listened I was wondering what the music would sound like without the percussion track.

Love the work in the second half with the middle east/Asian trills.

Considering the story you used for inspiration, I kept thinking there was going to be a dramatic blood-bath section - but then I realized what you were thinking of was the aftermath, the stunned shock of the surviving parents - yes?

Here's some consolation by the way. This story certainly is part of the dark side of the whole Jesus/Joseph epic, but this "slaughter of the innocents" has no historical basis. We all know things just as horrible have indeed happened throughout history, and continue to happen, but this one didn't actually occur.

As I said - I'm very happy to have heard from you, Rob- thanks for this rich, moody piece.

Randy

Rob,

I loved it. Very well done, and the effect is... well, effective. I'll be passing this one around to some friends.

Matthew

Thanks for listening!

Believe me. Omnisphere is worth every dime!

The mid-east/asian stuff with the strings were one of those happy accidents. I initially played it in as a sitar part (which you can faintly hear to begin with) and thought: "Hmm. I wonder how strings would sound playing that part as well?" So I just copied the track to several GPO instances and found it performed better than I expected. I spent maybe another 30-60 minutes tweaking individual tracks - pedal down (legato) for the grace notes, adding quick pitch bends for the extra trill, then blending in the EXS strings.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

. . . but this "slaughter of the innocents" has no historical basis. We all know things just as horrible have indeed happened throughout history, and continue to happen, but this one didn't actually occur.

Randy
    I disagree with your interpretation of history. I'll leave it at that.

Rob

Go Back to forum