• Register
  • Help

Topic: Am I stupid? Stylus 1.8 with Logic 8

Share/Bookmark

Am I stupid? Stylus 1.8 with Logic 8

Please forgive the stupid question, but I recently started working with Logic 8 and Stylus 1.8, and wanted to put together a linear drum track to sketch out a song...instantiated the plugin as stereo, browsed to a suite of elements that I wanted, made sure Stylus was in Slice mode, dragged from the MIDI drag area to the track in Logic the element I wanted, then selected a different element, dragged it to the track, etc...when I play back, every slice plays the currently selected element in the Stylus interface, NOT the different elements I selected...am I just doing it wrong?

Re: Am I stupid? Stylus 1.8 with Logic 8

If i understand you correctly.... you need to set up RMX as a multi instrument and each separate file will need to have its own track. There are specific instructions for doing this at Spectrasonics website.
    JP

yes - each of the 8 slots available in RMX correspond to MIDI channels 1 -8 .. there are video's on the Spectrasonics website and a tutorial on youtube regarding setting up in Logic.

Hi..Here's a link to a good video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnoUi...e=channel_page

Now however..Your best bet is to create a new suite with the grooves you wish to trigger and save it...The open logic and do the above..The reason for creating a new suite is so you don't use unneeded RAM..When you load the groove menu stuff you are loading more than you need..So then the custom suite will only load the grroovesss you want..Then assign them to the slots you want in RMX and change them to slice then drag each midi file into the perspective slots...However you will need to use the mixer in RMX to control the individual levels..Unless you get into loading RMX as a multi output instrument...But that's another discusion..I know I'm a lousy speller... JON
    Logic Pro8
    MacBook Pro intel
    Live8
    Reason4
    PTs 7.4

Quote Originally Posted by david6101 View Post
    Please forgive the stupid question, but I recently started working with Logic 8 and Stylus 1.8, and wanted to put together a linear drum track to sketch out a song...instantiated the plugin as stereo, browsed to a suite of elements that I wanted, made sure Stylus was in Slice mode, dragged from the MIDI drag area to the track in Logic the element I wanted, then selected a different element, dragged it to the track, etc...when I play back, every slice plays the currently selected element in the Stylus interface, NOT the different elements I selected...am I just doing it wrong?
    Email me and I will send you a template.

jay@jayasher.com
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Wow! Thanks, everyone, for the good advice...Jay, I will send you an email-thanks so much for the template offer. I guess I fundamentally didn't understand how the instrument worked with Logic...

Aren't we lucky to have resources like this forum, and helpful members to walk us through areas where we're stuck?

Hi..Big up to that one..Asher alone is a great resource..I am glad that he is so willing..Magic indeed..LOL...JON
    Logic Pro8
    MacBook Pro intel
    Live8
    Reason4
    PTs 7.4

Hey Jay,

First of all I wanted to thank you for sending me the template you also sent to David6101, and for responding to my email. This forum is an incredible resource and you are awesome with your generosity to help people out with your knowledge and experience. Thanks again amigo .... and thanks NorthernSounds!!

Jeramy Hale
    MacPro 2.8, 8 Core, OSX 10.5.7, 6GB ram, Logic 8.02, Apogee Duet, Motu Fastlane, Yamaha P120 Keyboard Controller

Let me echo my thanks to Jay...he sent me a very helpful template, with some tracks already set up in Logic, and some very clear instructions, which definitely cleared up my misconception about RMX and Logic.

Thanks again, Jay!

You're welcome, guys.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum