• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Again for Horst and Thomas Newman fans

Share/Bookmark

Again for Horst and Thomas Newman fans

http://www.musicyouneed.com/stuff/forhorst

I took an hour to mock up the intro to one of the Shawshank redemption cues.

I didn\'t pend enough time tweaking to perfect it, but this time I started out mimicing somethign that already existed.

You can see what an hour of work with GOS will give you. I personally think the reverb on my cue is the main problem. There isn\'t enough \"space\" in it. The cue itself is pretty close.

I played with the tempo track to get a more \"human\" performance. There are areas that i should have added some more dynamic swells and touched up the legato. The hour spent was also with reverb and EQ.

I\'ve uploaded both the actaul Cue, and aGOS version. IMO Its pretty good. I ahve another idea for getting that softer Pianimmisso sound, which I will try later. I wanted to get teh expression close to the mark first.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Re: Again for Horst and Thomas Newman fans

I threw up a second version with a little more EQ and added some reverb. Might sound better now.

Tho I could be wrong...spending too much time focusing on one thing and misin another

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    I threw up a second version with a little more EQ and added some reverb. Might sound better now.

Tho I could be wrong...spending too much time focusing on one thing and misin another

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Super job. Great example of what can be done with this great set.

Do you mind saying which patches you used to do this? thanks...

King,

Great job, sounds fantastic. I too would be VERY interested in finding out which GOS patches you used. Any chance of uploading the midi file?

Thanks guys.

I used Violin Gr Detache, SusNV/Sus VIB EXP, and Sul Tasto short bows as well as SUS EXP LEG. I mixed in the Sulstasto for a \"bow change\" sound with the EXP LEG legato sounds.

I\'ll upload the MIDI file in a few minutes

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 11-19-2001).]

MIDI file is up. I used a few tracks to do this. I think there may be more than I needed to be honest, but I was trying a few things, so I left them all in.

Since the notes playd on on of the violin sections is expressive, I used th GR detache sounds, you can see how i made them sstaing longr in the MIDI file. the other section I used a combination of Sordino and NV to VIB.

Nearly ALL notes are Quantized. In fact I step wrote this sucker, and added expression after the fact. Another factor in it taking about an hour.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Wow! That sounds wonderful. It lets me hear what all the GOS fuss is about - well done, and thanks.

PatS

Well done, King! I enjoyed the comparison, as well as Newman\'s elegant and haunting counterpoint. Thanks for the MIDI file.

Pat

Cool King! One of my favorite scores and cues. Finish it because it was just about to get to the part where I get chill bumps .

HA.. No way am I
    going to finish it. It was jsut a test. After that part is where it gets into woodwinds and possibly some horns. I MAY do that part just because it also gives me chills, but, as I am doign this by ear, and have a hard time telling what voicings are used when there are a lot of isntruments playing... I probably wont ever feel comfortable doing it. It would be a good learning excercise tho.

In Doign this little part I\'ve put some of the tricks I\'ve been doign wth GOS to the test,a dn also leaned a bit at how to acheieve different sounds and attacks. Only with doing these types of excercises regularly will I learn to use this library to its fullest potential,

I\'d like o note that If I were doing the piece without restrictions of jst using GOS, I\'d also layer in a solo violin somewhere...if I had a good sample. A pianimisso sample with some excessive vibarto would be wonderful to layr in heere and there.

Also I realised tht I wrote qtr notes for the sordino violins, when it should have been one whole a qtr and then a dotted half. for the first two bars. I cold have added a lot more expressivenes to that line. Oh well. Learning to train my ears for this crap.

Possibly next on the list is a big action cue with sort bows.... yah.. one day.

I\'m glad people are starting to see the potential of his library. Only good things are going to come out of using it if people take the time to learn it.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 11-19-2001).]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast