• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Would appreciate your comments

Share/Bookmark

Would appreciate your comments

On my revamped website;

Link

Forget the tunes and Google ads (that's a placeholder), just wondering what y'all think about it. Leave a comment on my guestbook thingie if you so wish...

T

Re: Would appreciate your comments

I like it. It's clean, things load fast. Very nice.

Steve Winkler

Tony,

Before I'm ready to make a decent feedback and throw my mind into your website, I would like to know what your aim is for your website. I'm used to seeing professional composers (computer game composers, or media ones) websites, or graphic designers, and computer game related stuff, so I'm not sure what to look for in your design.

Sorry that I can't be of further assitance right now. Hopefully we'll speak again soon.

Nikolas

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    Tony,

Before I'm ready to make a decent feedback and throw my mind into your website, I would like to know what your aim is for your website. I'm used to seeing professional composers (computer game composers, or media ones) websites, or graphic designers, and computer game related stuff, so I'm not sure what to look for in your design.

Sorry that I can't be of further assitance right now. Hopefully we'll speak again soon.

Nikolas
    Thanks for looking Nikolas, I'm not a prefessional composer and have no intention to be so. This is just a personal site for an inveterate banjo player. Thing is, I get loads of web traffic which warrants a half decent website at the very least. So many different ways to present a website - static site, blog, over the top flash or whatever.

Just looking for an honest opinion as to the overall look and feel, it's not meant to be self promoting in any major way.

Great music, Mr. Tony! I enjoyed your playing.

As you know I am a big banjo fan and have written much music for it through the years. Do you also like American bluegrass?

Your site looks good except that your type is too small for these old eyes.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks for looking Steve and Larry.

I surely do enjoy bluegrass music and particularly banjo but my banjo only has four strings and isn't quite tuned for that style.

I do however indulge in some bluegrass mandolin when I get the chance to play with some friends of mine.

I'll look at doing something about the text sizes, thanks for the input.

Here is my two cents' worth:

I love the banner. I think it is personal and presumably reflects who you are, so has a touch of "home" or intimacy about it.

The colour scheme is nice and works well.

The fonts are perhaps a tad small, although I personally like small fonts, bt I think Larry's point is valid.

I don't think it is a good idea to have the menus down the side as well as across the top. The duplication is redundant and takes up space. It kind of feels like you are trying to make use of widgets for the sake of making use of widgets. The menus look cool down the side, but the top ones are probably more efficient and functional. You can probably, by getting rid of those, eliminate the need for the left hand column - putting the webcam down the right hand side.

The listening room concept is good, but I would suggest that you list each piece separately, perhaps with a header and a little story about it, and perhaps even with room for comments to be added under each, but even without the interactivity, the option of telling your story with each piece is probably more powerful than a generic "juke box" concept.

I would suggest you remove the Garritan menu because you are taking people off your site. Perhaps instead have a page about how you produce your music - the uninitiated will be interested to read a small overview of the sampling/sequencing process and you can there put a link to the Garritan page. Otherwise it is only meaningful to those in the know. To those without that background it is kind of more like an advertisement and will just confuse or irritate.

Well that was probably a little more than 2c worth. Feel free to ignore if you don't agree - it's your website!

Overall I think it is well done.

Alan

Tony...
    Nice. I left a comment in the guestbook...is there a way to get back to the site, though, after having signed the guestbook? If there is, I didn't see it.
    Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thanks Alan and Snor for having a look.

I've removed the menu from the left column but that can't be deleted (at least for now), so I've left the StudioCam in place. I've increased the font size and added a link in the guestbook to go back to the main site.

Working on a different way to present the mp3's.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Hi Tony, again,

Thanks for letting me know your intentions.

I do like the colour scheme very much and the font (don't know if you made them any larger already) are fine now for me. The colours of the fonts are ok, as well.

I have to admit, though, that I find your website a little "cramped" and out of space. There's bits everywhere to looks and I did get a little lost. Many menus, many different links (from NSS, from other time zones, from a webcamera, etc).

Of course I'm pretty sure that you would find use for a live webcam feed in your website, as well as links to NSS forums and timezone information. I mean, honestly, all these seem very useful to me, honestly. Just that I hadn't imagined them on a personal site.

The banner is only awesome and you should NEVER change it!

In short I think that it's a very welcoming site (although a little intimidating to those not used to such layouts), and very friendly, by all means and everything. You also look cool playing your banjo with those "performers playing too slow" people!

In short I really enjoyed my visit to your website and I'm pretty sure I'll be visiting it again.

Go Back to forum