• Register
  • Help

Topic: Yamaha vs Roland???

Share/Bookmark

Yamaha vs Roland???

Hi,

Concerning digital pianos i'm currently in the process of trying to decide between Yamaha or Roland and out of which of these two to purchase. I understand this is a choice of personal preference which is why i'm adding this post. Are there any musicians out there using Yamaha or Roland? and what would your comments be on the quality and sonic diffrence between the two. i would be going for the (clavinova style in wooden frame) in either of the two (not the keyboard style)

Thanks
    Musicmad.
    Music.. the many characters of how God speaks to us all

Re: Yamaha vs Roland???

Short answer: it's a matter of personal preference, so go try both out (ideally side-by-side), to make your decision.

Long answer: go to pianoworld (Digital Pianos - Synths and Keyboards forum) and post your question there.

BTW, I'm not aware of console style offerings from Yamaha. Typically, the comparison is between Roland and Yamaha and Kawai.

Lawrence
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Thanks for the tip...

Musicmad.
    Music.. the many characters of how God speaks to us all

I bought a Yamaha Arius YDP160 last summer. It has the better Graded Hammer Action, 3 legitimate pedals, 12 preset sounds, etc. But I like the sound and love the action. It plays very much like an acoustic piano. This series is worth a look depending on your price requirements. (Street price $1350)

Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

I don't know whether Roland offers the new 700-series (I think the newest is 3rd generation) action in the design style you prefer, but it's the best I've encountered in a digital piano so far. However, the 700 series keyboard that I tried was $3,000+.

In the lower priced range, the heavier weighting of some of the Yamaha keyboards/stage pianos feels more like a real piano than any other. In fact, a concert pianist friend of mine compared the feel on my older $500 P-60 to a range of keyboards (ca. 20 different ones) up to $4,000 and found the P-60's feel was was either on par with or exceeded the realism of all the keyboards except the 700 series.

The heavy weighting can be very helpful if you are planning on playing acoustic pianos as well: it keeps your fingers strong and encourages better muscles control. However, some people prefer a much lighter action, and I would not recommend the Yamaha to them.

Just to confuse you even more, the new Korg SV1 stage piano has been getting some rave reviews. Haven't had a chance to try it myself, but reviews and demo tunes have all been good. I've seen it listed in the $2200 range.

I love the feeling of an e-Rolands head. U sound like u are doing much better than they really are, lol. I do not know much about this model, however it.

Roland

Roland was created after the cut links with Kakehashi Ace Electronic Industries and Hammond International. Like many startups Japanese period, has been named Roland opted for export purposes as Kakehashi was interested in a name that was easy to pronounce for its markets worldwide. Legend has long circulated that he named his company after the French epic poem The Song of Roland.

Go Back to forum