• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: I don't know where to ask this...

Share/Bookmark

I don't know where to ask this...

I've been waiting for the Garritan general midi library, but since I'm not sure when it will come out, I've been looking at some other alternatives.

I have an older piece of mine, meant to be played "electronically" (ie: midi sounds). I've tried entering notes into Finale for it, using the general midi sounds that come with Finale and with my soundcard, but somehow, they just don't match the sounds from my old Roland Sound Canvas (notably one called "Raindrops".... it just doesn't have that echo-ey effect the one in my SXC-88 had)

I saw that there is a "Virtual Sound Canvas" for sale, and that it has a VST version.. but I am not the most proficient with these things, so... here's question:

Being a VST, does that mean it will play in the Kontakt Player? (I don't ahve the "full" version of Kontakt Player. I have the one that came with my Garritan libraries).

Or will it play in the Aria player that came with Finale '09?

The thing is, I'm planning a version of this piece (it's a one-hour long suite) to be played "live" with a woodwind quintet on stage, and the backing tracks played by computer. Except if I can't get the sounds I need, nor get it to play back through Finale, I will be sort of stuck.

Anyways, I was hoping some of the resident geniuses on this forum might come to my aide and give some information to help me on my way.

Re: I don't know where to ask this...

Hi, The Sound Canvas VST won't work in the Kontakt Player 2 and probably not in the Aria interface unless it uses the soundfont format. But it should work from within Finale. You would just have to see that the .dll file gets installed in Finale's VST folder and then it should show up in the Setup Wizard and in the VST instruments that you can access via the MIDI/Audio menu. John

I just visited the Roland website and that virtual sound canvas is a standalone also. So it would play a MIDI file OK. I looked at the VSC-MP1: Virtual Sound Canvas Multi Pack. Those old Roland patches still sound pretty darned good. They really tweaked them out.

This is a suggestion with a question really. Native Instruments offers their Kore player for free and it comes with a few sounds. I don't know if the free sounds cover what you need and I haven't tried using the Kore player in Finale. It was kind of difficult to use with Sonar so maybe this isn't a good suggestion but maybe someone has had experience with it. I know the quality of the sounds is quite good though.

Or what about picking up a hardware synth if you had to?

Steve Winkler

Are you sure the sound was called "Rain Drops"? I have Edirol VirtualSoundCanvas and it only have two similar instruments: "Ice Rain" and "Echo Drops"

If there is some of this ones, you can found them for sure in your finale sounds. IceRain is patch 097 (or 096), Echo Drops is 103 (or 102) in any GM/GS soundfont file.

Here you can foun a list of the VSC sounds and numbers, can be handy:
    http://www.asseca.com/downloads/vsc-gs.ini

yes, thank-you "Ice Rain" and "Echo drops"... hey, I just combined the names!

All I can tell you is that from within Finale, they just don't sound at all like they did on my old SoundCanvas.

Here's a simpler solution (hopefully). You can replace Finale's sound font file. There's a file in C:\Program Files\Finale 2009\Component Files called synthgms.sf2. You can replace this file with a good quality general midi soundfont file.

Rename the existing file to synthgms.sf2.orig , then rename the new file synthgms.sf2 and put it in the Component Files directory. You can find some free ones on the internet and there are commercial ones available too. You have to be somewhat careful about the free files because we know there are sound font versions of GPO out there for example.

Hope this helps.

Steve Winkler

I wouldn't know where to start looking for a "good quality" sound font file

are there any that are legally free?
    or is there a distributor that is reputable where I could look?

I would really like to have the exact same sounds I had on my old SoundCanvas.

There are a surprising number of fairly high-quality general MIDI soundfonts available for free on the web. You do have to be careful because some of the ones offered for free are pirated versions of pay soundfonts.

I would suggest the Merlin.sf2 soundfont. It was put together by the folks over at Composition Contest.com. It is a freely available public domain soundfont and give pretty good results.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post

raweber is right. I'm doing a bit of research as well. The nice thing about downloading free soundfonts is obviously you can try it out. Unless a commercial soundfont has demos it could be a risky purchase.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post

The SoundCanvas was one of the biggest single jumps in computer audio quality that I can think of. What a great unit! What I think made it so great was not only the quantity of sounds, but the quality and unique timbres that it provided. I don't know why, but Sound Canvas offered better sounding....everything!

This is, of course, the crux of your problem. Where to find a duplicate of such a unique unit? A generic general midi soundfont is not going to give you a close match to what the SoundCanvas offered. If you want to duplicate the SoundCanvas you will need to either purchase one or purchase a virtual one.

Edirol had a virtual SoundCanvas VST but it is discountinued. A quick search on eBay showed 2 available for $20 or so. Otherwise, you can get a hardware unit for about $299.

Do you have a SoundCanvas already? If so are you just having a problem with getting it set up?

Once you decide on a solution getting it up and running should not be a problem. You have a whole forum that will help with that.

Good luck!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum