• Register
  • Help

Topic: Good Night

Share/Bookmark

Good Night

I so enjoyed Randy's Honey Pie arrangement, I felt inspired to do a transcription of Good Night.

Good Night appears at the end of side four of the White Album (after the musique concrète piece, Revolution No. 9). John Lennon wrote it for Ringo's voice over a George Martin orchestration. I've always admired this gorgeous arrangement, and, for the orchestrator wonks among us, I imagined it might be nice to hear, sans voices. (I think it sounds a little like Elgar ).

Good Night (transcription), 3:14, 5.9Mb

Rendered with Overture 4.1, GPO v1.0.2.008

Fair use, for educational purposes only.

Edit: fixed a wayward flute note the was weirdly resonating with the reverb, 1:00am CDST, 4/28.

Re: Good Night

Hi, Darwin! - What a really nice thing to know - that my little "Honey Pie" rendition inspired you to delve into a Beatles tune also!

"Good Night"---what a quietly spectacular way for The White Album to end. With Ringo's little warbling voice backed by the lush orchestra, it was actually rather moving when the album first came out. The song took everyone by complete surprise - it was a brilliantly unpredictable conclusion to a large set of songs which had all been unpredictable in their own way.

Back then we laughed at the way "Good Night" suddenly swept us up in some kind of Lawrence Welk alternate reality, while being touched by the song at the same time. Brilliant.

And it's a wonderful job of transcription you've done! All those lovely lines the talented George Martin came up with. Did you work this out by ear? The original has the Strings more continuously gliding and Legato than what you have here, but that's probably due to a limitation of using Overture.

WOnderful hit of nostalgia, Darwin - Thanks for it!

Randy

Hi Darwin and Randy,

Nice rendering of a great tune!

I'm glad to hear George Martin's name brandied about lately! He was so much a part of the Beatle's sound and success, it's nice to hear him mentioned so respectfully by the both of you.

Manhattan Transfer ended their Christmas album with this song, with a gorgeous vocal and orchestral arrangement by Johnny Mandel, who also co-produced the CD. The lullaby quality of the song was really brought home at the end by having a few of the Transfer's kid's excitedly opening gift's on Christmas morning ... very cute.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Frank

Darwin,

Very well done. The sound is right on.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Randy,

Hi, Darwin! - What a really nice thing to know - that my little "Honey Pie" rendition inspired you to delve into a Beatles tune also!
    Many of their tunes are well worth looking at. They were an inventive bunch, with exquisite musical sensibilities.

And it's a wonderful job of transcription you've done! All those lovely lines the talented George Martin came up with. Did you work this out by ear? The original has the Strings more continuously gliding and Legato than what you have here, but that's probably due to a limitation of using Overture.
    I'm very happy you liked it. As for the transcription itself, I started working it out "by elbow" but I couldn't get very far! If there's another way, I'm all ears. In terms of the strings, I would agree to a point, but is no fault whatsoever Overture's. The strings on the track are half sections (at most), so there's a quite a bit more transparency (plus they're heavily reinforced with very nice reverb). However, in the main, stripping out the voices definitely renders the overall effect not as continuous, as you say. The background quartet and lead vocal pretty much plug any holes and smooth everything out. I found separating out the orchestration actually quite instructive in regard to how it supports the vocal line.

Thanks for listening and leaving a note!

Frank,

Many would consider George Martin pretty much a de facto "Fifth Beatle". The fab four may well have been a little less fab in his absence. And thanks for the heads up on the Manhattan Transfer. I've not heard of their cover and will see if I can locate it and give a listen. I'd imagine there aren't many covers of this out there.

Hippie,

I tried my best, both in transcription and rendering with the tools at hand. I'm glad you enjoyed this!

This is really very well done. Did you write by ear (from listening to it) or use a score and import it?

Apart from a couple of technical issues common to sample library renderings (namely dynamics here), it is really well mixed and sounds great!

I listened to quite a few pieces tonight on this forum and this one stood out for me.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

Hi Paul,

I was about ready to turn in for the day and noticed you've resurrected this little fellow. (I was about to delete it, as I usually remove Listening Room posts from the server after they fall off the second page).

Yes, this was done by ear, as in listening to the recording about a hundred times. I haven't looked around, but I highly doubt there's any kind of published score out there of this actual session. Incidentally, for some odd reason I found myself transcribing this starting at the end, working towards the front.

Thanks for the listen and Good Night!

I missed this when it was first up. Nice job with the transcription. Sounds great.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Trent,

Glad you found this enjoyable. Thanks for the listen!

Go Back to forum