• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Do you quantize?

Share/Bookmark

Do you quantize?

When it comes to pretty fully orchestrated midi pieces what do you all do? Fully quantize? Play the notes in and leave them? Quantize only sections that need them? Go in note by note to adjust small changes? All of the above?

I generally play the notes in and just make small changes if I hear something is off. I have to say though that I'm not a great keyboard playing and I can sometimes waste a bit of time doing this. I'm starting to wonder if I should just start quantizing everything...

Re: Do you quantize?

I typically quantize my head off, especially for big orchestral stuff. Then I go in and "mess it up" a little bit from there. Sometimes I humanize it manually, and sometimes I'll do a global humanize that will randomly alter the beginning and end of every note by a specific number of ticks. Nothing drastic, but enough so that all notes aren't being struck at the same exact millisecond.

I've been using Finale for 12 years now and I'm so fast that I think I input notes much faster with Finales' speed entry than with any other method.

Of course the result is 100% correct lenghts, etc (and 99% pitches, if I miss any).

Certain melodies, or piano stuff, I play with the keyboard and do NOT quantize at all. I'm a rather good pianist, so I'm usually rather good and my latency is pretty decent (around 5 msecs currently, and I usually solo most stuff, so I can bring down the buffer size), thus there's little problem.

When I use Finale, I then dequantize as much as possible, and I usually play with the tempo very very much!

yes, I do quantize orchestral stuff, 100%. but I spend a big amount of time, developing/drawing a convincing tempo curve in cubase....
    positioning "breathing pauses" between the different phrases is the most important thing imo.

I will quantize most of the time unless it sounds wrong. Obviously glisses can't be quantized and certain patches might not 'speak' quite right. Those I'll either shift the part, but usually just the notes as needed. Or leave quantize at 90%. Solo strings and things like that I don't. It really depends on the patch or VST. I find in Logic it's usually finding the 'right' quantize rather than to quantize or not. You can also mix the type of quantize you use so it doesn't sound mechanical. When you listen to old records (before sequencing) I think there was a certain vibe and fullness because everyone was tight, but they each had their own feel. Drums might be straight, guitars might swing a little, they weren't all "quantized" exactly the same.

Orchestra never.

When I have played the notes too exact, then I unquantisize them in the way Alex told.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I do most of what's been said so far.

One thing I like to do in certain situations for orchestral scores is, if I played an important part, such as a melody, say violin 1, and I don't want to loose that feel, I paste/copy to any new parts, say violin 2, keep the rhythm + or -, change the notes to what I want. This way it still feels naturals, no quantization and it sounds as tight or relaxed as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by guyB View Post
    I do most of what's been said so far.

One thing I like to do for orchestral scores is, if I played an important part, such as a melody, say violin 1, and I don't want to loose that feel, I paste/copy to any new parts, say violin 2, keep the rhythm + or -, change the notes to what I want. This way it still feels naturals, no quantization and as tight or relaxed as you want.
    so same performance with each instrument but not quantized? thats a good idea. I had a very rhythmic part shared by violins and trumpets and this technique i think would help. Only thing is I have trouble getting the strings to attack in the same way was the brass so it may take a bit of finessing.

Quote Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
    so same performance with each instrument but not quantized? thats a good idea. I had a very rhythmic part shared by violins and trumpets and this technique i think would help. Only thing is I have trouble getting the strings to attack in the same way was the brass so it may take a bit of finessing.
    Well that's the basic of it, of course you have to tweak everything right horizontally and vertically.

But if you use sharp attacks on the strings I don't see why it would be a problem.

I do always.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Go Back to forum