• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for anyone with a newer version of Cubase

Share/Bookmark

Question for anyone with a newer version of Cubase

Hi, I own/use Cubase Studio 4 with an old Roland XP-50 synthesizer as my midi controller. I usually use the sounds from my VST plug-ins (like GPO) to create audio tracks, but every once in a while I need to use one of the sounds off my Roland XP-50 synthesizer. I am familiar with how to export the midi tracks which have my VST plug-in instruments assigned to them onto an audio track. However, I have not yet figured out how to export (or record onto an audio track) a midi track which has one of my Roland XP-50 synthesizer sounds assigned to it. I used to know how to do this in a much older version of Cubase that I used to use, but I have not yet been able to figure out how to do this in Cubase Studio 4...even after reading the manual. I have posted to the Steinberg forum and am still waiting for a reply, but thought I'd ask someone here in the meantime if anyone knew a simple way to do this.

Once again, my dilemna is this. I have a midi track recorded. I have my Roland XP-50 synthesizer assigned to the midi track. I can hear the music fine when I hit the play button on the transport panel, however when I try to record or export the midi track onto an audio track, it does not record the music. Please help.

Thanks,
    Frodo
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Question for anyone with a newer version of Cubase

The Roland XP-50 dont have built-in speakers, isnt? Is the audio-out of it connected to the audio-in of your soundcard?

Hi, It's not clear how you have your keyboard set-up. I assume since you stated you used it as a MIDI controller that you have the MIDI outs of the keyboard routed to the MIDI ins of your soundcard. If you want to route a MIDI track back through your keyboard's built in sounds, you would have to have the MIDI outs from the soundcard connected to the MIDI ins of your keyboard and the Audio outs of the keyboard routed back to the Audio ins of the soundcard to be able to monitor or record them in your sequencer.

Is the following something you have considered?

(from the Cubase manual)

MIDI Thru

When MIDI Thru is active (when Preferences/MIDI tab MIDI Thru Active is
    checked) then all MIDI received on a MIDI In port, for a record or monitor enabled Track, will be echoed on the selected MIDI Out (and MIDI Channel) selected for that Track. That is how you play a MIDI device. If MIDI Thru is inactive then you will not be able to play connected instruments or VSTi’s.
    However, incoming MIDI messages can still be recorded; it is just that they
    are not passed to (or echoed at) the output.

In all but a very small number of cases, having MIDI Thru active is the most
    common setting. If you are using a keyboard that is also being used as a MIDI
    sound source, then you will, most likely, want to switch it to Local Off mode (see the manual for your keyboard, if you don’t know how to do this). Note that the MIDI messages are not strictly being passed “thru”, as the channel embedded in the MIDI messages might be changed by CubaseSX as it passes through (a process called re-channelization).
    For example, say your keyboard is sending MIDI messages on Channel 1,
    but the CubaseSX Track you wish to play is set to Channel 3. Set-up as above (MIDI Thru Active checked and Record/Monitor Enable the Track) and this will work due to CubaseSX re-channelizing the MIDI messages from your keyboard.

You might need to set LOCAL OFF in the Roland so that the keyboard doesn't send signals straight to the onboard sound

Set MIDI out in the inspector to the correct port, if your soundcard has a midi socket thats it. You can even set up all the necessary connections in MIDI device manager so that your Roland appears in the inspector as a preset

I don't think you want MIDI thru as this echoes the input and won't play back a Cubase MIDI track. I've got three sound cards running and none of them have MIDI thru, just in and out
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here is a bit more information regarding my situation. I do have my sequencer routed through my computer system and I'm pretty sure it is set up properly because when I have the “local” turned off on my synthesizer I am still able to hear the synthesizer sounds when I play back the midi track to which my synthesizer is assigned. (Inicidentally, I have had the local on my synthesizer turned "off" when I've attempted to record an audio track as I mentioned above.) The older version of Cubase that I used to own/use was Cubase VST 5.0. The procedure I would follow to get Cubase VST 5.0 to record a midi track to which my synthesizer was assigned onto an audio track was as follows:

First I would create a midi track and assign my sythesizer to the track. I would then record midi data onto the track. When I was ready to record the midi data (using my synthesizer sounds) onto an audio track I would do this: On the “VST Channel Mixer 1” I would click “IN 1L”. I would create an audio track, highlight the audio track and then click the “Record” button on the Transport panel. I tried to follow this same procedure for Cubase Studio 4, but there is no "IN" or “IN 1L” button for me to click on (that I can find) in any of the mixers within Cubase Studio 4. I’m sure it is something very simple that I am overlooking/not doing, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. I still haven't gotten a reply from the Steinberg forum. I posted this question here because, while this is not specific to Garritan libraries, you guys are always so helpful. If anyone can figure out what I'm forgetting to do or missing here, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Frodo
    Last edited by Frodo; 04-29-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typo
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Frodo, you need to have the audio output of your XP-50 plugged into one of your audio interface's audio inputs in addition to the MIDI connection. There is no way to capture the audio from a hardware sound source without physically connecting the sound source to your audio interface.

Once you have the keyboard connected to the audio interface, you can create a new input bus for it in Cubase or simply use an existing bus that corresponds to the inputs you are using. Then create your audio track and select the relevant bus as the track input. Use the track monitor to ensure that you are getting a signal from the XP, then arm the track to record and let 'er rip.

edit: rereading your post, it seems that maybe you already have the keyboard connected, but do not have a bus created in Cubase for the audio input? More information about your hardware configuration would be helpful. What interface are you using? How are the audio and MIDI connections configured?

I don't have Studio 4 but do have Cubase 4

first "DEVICES" > "DEVICE SETUP" > "VST AUDIO SYSTEM"

In the black box at the top set the "ASIO DRIVER" for your soundcard

"OK"

then "DEVICES" > "VST CONNECTIONS" > "INPUT" Tab

Is there a bus shown ? If not then ADD BUS - mono, IN1L or whatever name you like or Stereo or any of the others shown
    "Audio device " tab

Drop down should show the name of the driver. Select driver, soundcard name should appear under "Device Port"

Do the same for the Output tab

This is then the same as the earlier version of Cubase but allows for different setups, even multiple soundcards etc.

Its more complicated than the earlier version but also more versatile. You only need to do this once, unless you change the setup.

Hope this helps
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Dorsch View Post
    edit: rereading your post, it seems that maybe you already have the keyboard connected, but do not have a bus created in Cubase for the audio input? More information about your hardware configuration would be helpful. What interface are you using? How are the audio and MIDI connections configured?
    My midi interface is M-Audio Midisport 2x2. I am not sure if I have a bus created in Cubase for the audio input or not (still a little new to this) and cannot say regarding the configurations off the top of my head (am at work right now). I got in touch with my Sweetwater rep. (who I bought my computer and software from) and think I will try to contact Sweetwater tech support and see if they can walk me through it/help me figure it out. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    I don't have Studio 4 but do have Cubase 4

first "DEVICES" > "DEVICE SETUP" > "VST AUDIO SYSTEM"

In the black box at the top set the "ASIO DRIVER" for your soundcard

"OK"

then "DEVICES" > "VST CONNECTIONS" > "INPUT" Tab

Is there a bus shown ? If not then ADD BUS - mono, IN1L or whatever name you like or Stereo or any of the others shown
    "Audio device " tab

Drop down should show the name of the driver. Select driver, soundcard name should appear under "Device Port"

Do the same for the Output tab

This is then the same as the earlier version of Cubase but allows for different setups, even multiple soundcards etc.

Its more complicated than the earlier version but also more versatile. You only need to do this once, unless you change the setup.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the detailed walk-through! I will give this a try when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    My midi interface is M-Audio Midisport 2x2. I am not sure if I have a bus created in Cubase for the audio input or not (still a little new to this) and cannot say regarding the configurations off the top of my head (am at work right now). I got in touch with my Sweetwater rep. (who I bought my computer and software from) and think I will try to contact Sweetwater tech support and see if they can walk me through it/help me figure it out. Thanks for your help.
    The Midisport 2X2 is a MIDI interface with no audio inputs or outputs. You must have some other piece of hardware (an audio interface, or sound card) that is actually generating the audio signal that goes out to your monitors or headphones. It's possible that it's a standalone box plugged into your machine via USB or Firewire, or a card installed in the case of your PC. How is the audio signal from your computer getting to your speakers?

Go Back to forum