• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie trying to connect with a keyboard

Share/Bookmark

Newbie trying to connect with a keyboard

I have my brand new Garritan libraries loaded, I load in the piano and the demo/audition keyboard produces sound. I have my keyboard hooked up via US, the driver is installed, Windows XP says that the interface is working properly. I go into Kontact and select the keyboard as a MIDI input and make sure that it is ON. The keyboard transmits on MIDI channel one. But the keyboard does not trigger any sound. Now what? I have not used the keyboard with anything else, so maybe the first thing to do would be to prove that it is transmitting USB/MIDI. But I don't know how.

I'm running in demo mode, (Native Instruments won't run, it falselyu claims that Flash is not available) if that makes any difference.

Re: Newbie trying to connect with a keyboard

Hi,

1. Uninstall your version of NI Service Center. Download the latest version here: http://www.native-instruments.com/in...Service_Center
    This version does not use flash. For further installations it is recommended that you do not install the flash-based one that ships on the CD but rather use the version downloadable from nativeinstruments.com exclusively.

2. You can verify that the instrument is receiving MIDI information by watching this blink while you noodle on your keyboard:

If you do not see it blink then the problem lies upwards in the chain. Try these steps:

3. If this is the case, look into the number of MIDI inputs you have enabled. Kontakt only assigns the first four active inputs to ports, and it does them in top-down fashion (the first one in the list gets A, the second gets B, and so on). If you have multiple devices enabled, verify that the loaded instrument is looking at the correct port.

4. If you are sure the port setting is correct, check the loaded instrument on MIDI Omni. It may be that your MIDI keyboard is transmitting on a channel other than 1. Consult your keyboard's owner's manual on how to change the MIDI port on which it transmits.

Please let us know if either of these solutions work or if you can see that you're receiving information but not hearing anything.

Best,
    Reegs

and you must move the mod wheel. Good luck, John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    and you must move the mod wheel. Good luck, John
    I was afraid that might be it. I don't have a mod wheel. I've never used one and don't care for them, so I don't want to buy a keyboard that has one, which would be pretty difficult in any case because I live in Bali.

I did buy a game controller joystick, so I guess I'll have to get that to work before I can get any sound out of the libraries. I was hoping to do something simpler first.

Hi again, you can try raising the mod wheel next to the keyboard in the GUI with your mouse. But to really make any use of the library you will need to be able to control cc1 data (volume and expression) to impart any realism to the instruments. You should be able to do it with a joystick controller set to send cc1 data. John

Does the piano or any other percussive instruments sound? Those particular ones don't rely on modwheel.

You CANNOT use the Garritan Personal Orchestra or Jazz and Big Band Libraries without a keyboard with a modulation wheel. You must also learn to use it!
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

"...You CANNOT use the Garritan Personal Orchestra or Jazz and Big Band Libraries without a keyboard with a modulation wheel..."

Well - that's a bit of an over statement. Playing the instruments with a fully equipped MIDI keyboard, which includes a Mod Wheel, Is the preferred set up. But if one is using any sequencing software such as Sonar or Cubase, the CC1 data can be drawn in by hand/mouse. Plenty of people do that, and even those with keyboards will touch CC1 data up by hand.

But, Frisbieinstein, you haven't said how you are using the Garritan instruments. Are you only wanting to play them in the stand-alone player? Or are you trying to use them inside an audio/MIDI program?

Randy

I got the program registered, got a new USB cable and reinstalled the keyboard driver and now I am a happy Garritan user of both the big band and personal orchestra. My fave is the piano that comes with the big band, it has a singing sound with lots of overtones that drives me wild, second fave the big band string bass with its thick muscular tone. Eberhard Weber in a can! Pleasant surprises include the personal orchestra harp and pipe organs. Having no mod wheel doesn't mean silence, it isn't a problem (other than I'll have to install some other sort of controller eventually.) I wouldn't say everything is exactly the way I would like it, but I got my money's worth.

While I am having a ball, the setup does crash every half hour or so. I have MIDI-OX and the MIDI messages stop for no apparrent reason and don't restart. There is no particular message that causes it and it has nothing to do with load, in fact several times I walked away from the keyboard for a while and returned to find the setup nonfunctional. But this does not always happen, so it isn't a timeout. To restart it is necessary to terminate all the MIDI applications, uplug and replug the keyboard, then restart Kontact. I'm fairly sure the problem is with the keyboard driver or with Windows itself.

The only unusual thing about my setup at this time seems to be that I don't have an ASIO compatible soundcard driver, but since I am having these problems even when not making any sound it does not seem that should have anything to do with it.

I'm running Kontact standalone, no sequencers or anything like that.

Go Back to forum