• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Leonids

Share/Bookmark

The Leonids

Every November, the earth goes thru a part of space that the comet Tempel-Tuttle had once passed thru. Particles that were once part of that comet then enter the earth's atmosphere and we get to see what are incorrectly called, shooting stars.

These specific shooting stars are called the Leonids, because they seem to come from the same place in the sky as the constellation Leo.

The piece uses GPO, JABB, GA Steinway, and EWQL.

Here it is
    http://www.box.net/shared/gssyfya63p

The piece is also available here
    http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Comments welcome
    Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: The Leonids

Very great production and rendering Ron! Sounds ... "real".
    Your conducting and performance are noticeably well thought out and executed.

A wonderfully tied together episodical work encouraging many visuals. Noticed some reappearing themes and neatly placed cadences. Very impressive!

Your swirling and spinning notational steps are a true signature. Enjoyed the trills and carefully placed percussion.

Very nice Ron ...

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Ron, Gorgeous sound! What can I say but.......

How's the new rig working out? John

Ron,

I've had two spectacular, I mean really spectacular nighttime remembrances when I was at Anderson Lake, which is about 100 miles North of Vancouver in British Columbia.

The first one was the Leonid shower and it was as I said awe inspiring. The second one was also at Anderson Lake at a different time and there was a Aurora Borealis (northern light show) that was the best in 25 years. It was seen all the way down to Florida.

A friend and I were camping and I got up at 1:00 AM and saw humongous red flames over the whole horizon of the cedar and Douglas fir forest. We both thought it was an out of control forest fire headed straight towards us. We got up and ran as fast as we could to the lake and jumped in. After 15 minutes and not smelling any smoke, or hearing any crackling or noise what so ever, I realized it wasn't fire but solid red and orange flaming Northern lights across the entire spectrum of the sky. It was the talk of the town when we got back. This occurred 20+ years ago but I still remember it like yesterday.

So when is your Aurora Borealis piece going to be posted Ron?

Ah, almost forgot. This piece!. This is my favorite orchestral piece of yours so far
    . You've really tightened up your structure and form on this. I like how you handle the main motif, the downward 5 note (or 9 note, depending how you look at it) motif that starts right off and is paraphrased with orchestral colour and variation through out the first half of the composition. It signifies to me the downward movement of the "shooting starts". It reminds me of the driving rhythmic motifs Beethoven used in many of his symphonic movements. I also like the recap of the theme at the very end. Very well crafted piece. Loved it!

Hope I don't miss any of your compositions while I'm away.

Cass

Michael

I worked on this one for about a month geting everything right. I had tons of problems with it because of my CPU, so this piece was partly responsible for me buying a new computer.

For a quick laugh, go to the "other" place and see who is a new reviewer.

John

If I knew how to import pictures like that, I would try to find an appropriate one to reply. Alas, I have no clue to the procedure so I will just say thank you.

Cass

I used to live in Maine and we used to see the northern lights quite a bit. I used to take people out in my boat to the middle of the lake so they could have an unimpeded look at them over the mountains. Although these passengers would be in awe over the site, I would always bore quickly. All I can ever see at night is shades of white. I have nighttime color blindness so I see no colors in the lights. I have seen the northern lights on tv and wish I could see them like that.

Most people miss what I am trying to say in my pieces, but you nailed it right on the head as usual.

Thanks guys

Ron

WHAT are you drinking and have such great ideas and pieces come together, huh Ron?

This is, once more, gorgeous!

I'm too tired to post any proper feedback, but in all honesty I think that this is well put together, well crafter and orchestrated, coherent, and well rendered. Some things do not exactly sound "real" (the faster runs, and especially on the brass), but this seems to be besides the point with your music.

The appeal of your music goes beyond good or bad rendering (ok, not extremely bad, I wouldn't accept that, but neither would you, I know that).

Well done, my friend!

Hi Ron,

I really enjoyed this - one of my favorites of your pieces. Interesting - although this is undoubtedly in your style, some of it reminds me of David S. - not a bad thing.
    Trent P. McDonald

OK, Ron, will do that!
    Wow, again, so "Real"! Very cool.

M

(2 min. later)

Wow, Congratulations! But I'm confused. What is the difference of being a reviewer and a member reviewing others music? Just curious, no harm intended.

I've never understood why, but you do put a lot of effort in over "there" and for that you have my respect.

M

PS, looks like you started a bit of a "fuss" in one thread.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Nikolas

I have always wondered if you listen to my pieces when I don't specifically ask you to. I always thought you do, but don't want to spend the time in a critique. Which I totally understand and agree with.l But this means that you do indeed listen and that's usually all I want anyway.

I always have trouble doing Brass runs and worked on them forever in this piece and still don't like them, but I gave up. I have learned a lot in the past few weeks about the rendering process that does not show in this piece but will in subsequent pieces. Although this piece is rendered decently, I know that I can do a lot better now. Thanks!!!

Trent

When I get in a slump and can't compose anything I like, I go to David's site and listen and always get ideas. I tell him that I am stealing from him all of the time. This time I got to his page and saw he had a piece called "The Persiads". I didn't even listen to it but before I got Sonar open I knew the name of this piece and had the opening motif worked out in my mind. So not a bad thing at all.

Michael

When you get a chance, revisit that thread. I will Pm you now.

Thanks guys

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    The piece uses GPO, JABB, GA Steinway, and EWQL.
    Ron,
    you did it again, getting my attention. I am listening!!!!! Though I don't understand all you presented here, it certainly is worthwhile listening. You made it this time (for me), giving it tension, great mixture of textures and a wonderful opening. Can you tell me what you used for those strings at the beginning (from the left)? They sounded so clear, bright and articulated.

Really a nice piece,... hey I heard some familiar melody at the trumpets.... (yes, the second time is rolling out) at the spot where Box.net has its arrow just right to the L of the title.

Should we now all be out in November to watch those space left-overs?

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast