• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stradivari Solo Violin acting funny within FL Studio (Link to Sound Samples)

Share/Bookmark

Stradivari Solo Violin acting funny within FL Studio (Link to Sound Samples)

Hey, I'm having trouble with the Stradivari Solo Violin. I'm loading it with Kontakt 2.2.1.010 within FL Studio on Windows Vista, and everytime I play a note, it'll just randomly cut off in the middle. This problem does not occur AS MUCH in the rendered MP3, but it's annoying trying to play and record live off my keyboard with the sound cutting off. Here are some sample files. The song being played is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star:

How it sounds in FL Studio with Expression Controller down

How the rendered MP3 sounds with Expression Controller down

How it sounds in FL Studio with Expression Controller all the way up

How the rendered MP3 sounds with Expression Controller all the way up

Note how in the last link the 8th note or so cuts off near the end..., despite being the rendered version. The problem has been worse in other renders, I just couldn't replicate it here.

What could this problem be, and how can I fix it? I tried downloading the new DLL's from the stickied threads and putting them in the system32 folder but that didn't change anything. Please help - thank you. Also, on a side note - why did they discontinue the plugin?

Thanks,
    Dalal

Re: Stradivari Solo Violin acting funny within FL Studio (Link to Sound Samples)

Well, you know what? I increased the buffer size and the sound started working better. But it's so slow and I can't play it... - I guess I need a new soundcard? Or maybe a new computer? I only have 2 GB RAM.

Re: Stradivari Solo Violin acting funny within FL Studio (Link to Sound Samples)

Hi dalal,

Please download and then import this short midi file and MP3 into FL Studio.

MIDI FILE

MP3

The midi file is the theme from the movie Young Frankenstein

When you use my midi file and load your Stradivari violin,
    it should sound identical to my MP3. If it doesn't, then something is for sure wrong with your system, I suspect my midi file playing your Strad will sound identical. If it does, then your Garritan Strad is working just fine. At that point it would be an obvious assumption that your Strad is in need of more attention to detail, especially with the critical features I have listed and described below. Using these things is absolutely critical in order to create a believable sound.

Let me explain the most important features...

First read the manual so you don't miss wonderful features that I don't mention here like keyswitches for pizz and harmonics. etc.

cc11 (expression) is exactly that. It simulates bow pressure. A real violin gets louder and more harsh sounding when the bow pressure (cc11) is increased.

Velocity, radically affects note attack.

A very high velocity will create a very aggressive bow attack.
    A medium velocity will create even still an aggressive bow attack, but somewhat less.
    Extremely low velocities will create a smooth gentle touch of the bow to the string.

The velocity also affects portamenti, (sliding from note to note) but only when the end of a note is overlapping the next note, such as a legato (connected) phrase.

When notes are connected or overlapping, the velocity value no longer creates aggressive attacks, but will instead determine the duration of time that the next note (target note) slides before reaching the actual note.

A high velocity value will create a very smooth legato line, without any portamenti (slide).

A medium velocity value will create a slight slide between notes...
    A very low velocity value will create an excessive slide.

Holding down the sustain pedal (cc64) over two detached (not connected) notes will cause the first note to hold until it reaches the next note, at which time the software will create the sound of a bow direction change.

The borderline excessive amount of vibrato depth (cc11 modwheel) that I played is typical of a gypsy style violin sound, but in traditional orchestral music, much much less vibrato would be used.

You will notice that the modwheel data is beyond radical. After I have played the notes, I use the modwheel to overdub the vibrato. I then use a feature in my sequencing program that randomly exagerates the modwheel data. I have found that doing this makes for a much more imperfect vibrato like a real violinist would have.

After touch, sometimes referred to as (mono touch) controls the vibrato speed. Another very important thing to not neglect. No violinist would be able to play a note with the same exact vibrato speed. it is always changing, like all of the data should be.

The excessive use of these features in this midi file makes this a good file to study.

Do yourself a favor, copy the midi file into numerous tracks, and use one at a time to play and experiment with the data by deleting some of it, and changing it.

Now go and multiply your musical notes with great joy!
    Dan

Make sure you download the latest version of the Kontakt Player which should be 2.2.4 or there may be a newer 2.2.5.

Jim

Thanks a lot guys! And that MIDI file is very helpful...

The problem actually got solved when I upgraded to Kontakt 3

It plays perfectly!! I'm very excited now. Time to compose.

Thanks for the midi. Really helps my problem too.
    I missed the portamento sound when played in in Fl studio. Turns out, my velocity curve is way too high. So i adjusted them in MIDI setting>link note on velocity.

Go Back to forum