• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is The Oxygen 49 Worth It?

Share/Bookmark

Question Is The Oxygen 49 Worth It?

I'm seriously considering picking up an Oxygen 49 to use as a MIDI controller. I don't really need the keys since I have another keyboard but just wanting to know if anyone else has one (or the 61) and how good it is at controlling the Garritan libraries. I use the Marching/Concert Band, Big Band Jazz, GPO and Tapspace Virtual Drumline (I know, NOT a Garritan) inside Finale and Sonar.

Does it make it easier to control the VSTs from a hardware controller? I'm mainly looking at the use of the MOD wheel.

I know there are controllers without keys, but they seem to be a LOT more expensive then the Ox49 so I figured I could live with them.

Any ideas? I'm looking to buy within the next week so trying to find out if the Ox49 will work for me.

Thanks!
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings
    Voice: 573-840-0653
    Fax: 573-727-6511

Re: Is The Oxygen 49 Worth It?

its a good keyboard, i would recommend it. The sliders and rotary controls, plus the transport controls can be very useful.

The one downside is the keys are not weighted.

I find it actually really useful having more than one keyboard. Means i can set different instruments to respond to each keyboard and try out textures and ideas better.

My 2.

And can the knobs and sliders be programmed to use the knobs and sliders of the Garritan Kontakt instruments? Not to mention some other instruments.

I'd also like to be able to use the knobs/sliders for Effects VST's in Sound Forge.

Thanks!
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings

Greetings,
    The Oxygen series is really good, so if it offers enough functionality for you go for it! The Axiom and Axiom Pro series offer more flexible programming and might be more useful for you.

Are you saying that your current keyboard controller does not have a mod wheel? If not, getting a keyboard with a mod wheel would be important. If it does, you might want to look at the Korg NanoKontrol. It is bare bones, but useful if you don't need an LCD. Again, it is an off beat suggestion, but worth looking at if your current keyboard has a mod wheel.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I was looking at the nanoKontrol and I really like the looks/functionality of it. My current keyboard however doesn't have a mod wheel so I think that's important given how I need it for the Garritan sets.
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings

Well, I have the Oxygen 61 as a secondary keyboard. I have no problems with it other that it has more controls than I need.

Richard

i don't think it has aftertouch (this is something that you might need). thats why i went with the axiom series instead (it does have aftertouch). I might be wrong about this, but I don't think so.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I have the Axiom 25. Built like a tank and it has "aftertouch."

This is an important controller when using the Garritan libraries.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I'm right with Keith and Jack with this. Aftertouch is not optional when it comes to using Garritan or similar products. The controller will be a bit more pricey, but they are dollars well spent.

Have you looked at CME keyboards? I use the UF70 and really like it. Just trying to provide options.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum