• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Are all you Yanks OK?

Share/Bookmark

Are all you Yanks OK?

I heard a radio program from the BBC today from Muncie, Indiana about the current financial chaos and found it quite distressing.

How are most of you doing? OK I hope.

Re: Are all you Yanks OK?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I heard a radio program from the BBC today from Muncie, Indiana about the current financial chaos and found it quite distressing.

How are most of you doing? OK I hope.
    There will be as many different answers to that question as there are people. My heart goes out to those who have lost jobs and income. However, in my case the mundane job has grown steadily through all of this and contracts for music have nearly doubled from local production companies and independent film makers.

On the other hand, I have never used credit cards, found a downtown Seattle 1,650 square foot apartment for $750 a month and drive a 2009 KIA Spectra5 automobile that gets 39 mpg. Given the state of the economy, I feel very fortunate.

Unfortunately, a combimation of circumstances has put me in the worst financial position I've ever been in. The last three years or so have provided more business than I could even handle but this year everything has really dried up. Of course, with things going so well the past few years, I decided last year to take the plunge and put myself into debt up to my ears to finance a commercial studio to give me more work in the music field between scoring projects. Just about the time I spent the very last of my money, things slowed to a stop in my day job (HVAC contractor) and the scoring gigs. I went to having a perfect credit record to not wanting to answer the phone which is ringing off the hook with credit companies wanting a payment. I feel awful about the whole deal and I'm really at a loss for direction right now. I can maybe get a lousy job for minimum wage somewhere which will only inhibit my ability to make better money when opportunity knocks for my businesses. If I sell my studio gear, I lose the ability to make money that way.

Hopefully when the summer weather hits, business will be good again. I really hope that others are doing well but my personal situation is kind of grim. Thank God for my health thus far.

Heh, funny you should mention that. My Mom actually works in Muncie...or rather, used to work in Muncie. She was laid of a couple months ago and has been searching for employment ever since. However, she's getting married in a few weeks, so she's obviously found a reason to be happy!

edit: Any chance you could post a link to the story or video?
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Well, I seem to be solidly solvent, and so are all in my family. I am facing cataract surgery probably late this year, and the financial aspect is of no worry to me. My few human neighbors seem to be doing well.

Richard

WE'RE HANGIN' IN THERE!
    How about you Brits?

Well, it seems the story was a bit easier to find than I thought

here's a link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jts6m
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I think you will find a huge range of answers to your question. We are in a tough economic position to be sure and yet at the same time we are buying electronics, breaking records at the box office and still filling airplanes for spring break. Sweetwater (an audio retailer) has had record quarters the past two quarters. It is really odd to see the different situations people are finding themselves in.

Some people are devastated due to unemployment and my heart goes out to them. Others, like Eric, (and myself) are feeling the squeeze because business has evaporated. I really feel for these people too. Another group is comprised of people now financially broken because of making some really irresponsible financial decisions. I find it hard to feel sorry for people in this category. They are the people who have caused alot of pain for innocent / financially responsible people. The last group are the people who are still doing just fine.

Are we going to get through the crisis? I'm 85% certain we will. The major obstacle to recovery is the absurd amount of money being spent by our government. (Read: taxpayer money.) Trillions and trillions of dollars of debt will result in future scenarios that no one can predict. There are too many factors and unknowns to be able to say what will happen. It could be good, it could be bad. Again, no one knows. My gut says we are playing with fire. All we can do is to continue living our lives as financially responsibly as possible and see what the future brings. Now is a good time to live in the concept of `Day Tight Compartments' that Dale Carnagie writes about. No need to worry, because worry brings nothing productive to the plate.

So the short answer to your question is clearly `it depends'. Some are great, others are at an all time low. Either way, thanks for asking.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    If I sell my studio gear, I lose the ability to make money that way.
    Eric, please DO NOT sell your studio gear. Things will bounce back, and thats a money maker for you there waiting to happen. You also will not get nearly whats its worth by selling stuff now, in all probability.

It will get happening again!

Am I OK? BLUE STATE SECESSION NOW!!!!!!!! GET SOME LIQUID WELD AND SEAL ALL THE DOORS ON EVERY FEDERAL BUILDING!!!!! PAY YOUR FEDERAL TAXES TO YOUR HOME STATE!!!!!! SEND TROJAN-LADEN E-MAILS TO THE IRS!!!!!! PAUL MCCARTNEY IS REALLY DEAD!!!!!

Uh, yeah, I guess I'm OK. But we Americans need a revolution. Our government is scamming us big-time. We're letting our clueless leaders in Washington tax us to death to pay for an economic stimulus that just won't work. And what do we do? We pay for it. We're chumps. Face it. We deserve all the criticism we get. We're a democracy, but we sit around and do nothing while our elected representatives grab for all the pork they can get from our federal taxes and the corporate lobbies. But don't look for us to start a movement to bring fundamental change. We're too busy hanging on to our false optimism. Poverty sucks, but ignorance is bliss. More Kool-aid, please.

"And the three men I admire most
    The Father, Son and the Holy Ghost
    They caught the last train for the coast
    The day the music died"
    ("American Pie" by Don McLean)
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." -Steven Wright, comedian

Go Back to forum