• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony 1 - CD-release, please comment on the quality of the sound

Share/Bookmark

Symphony 1 - CD-release, please comment on the quality of the sound

I edited the original message. Please folks, comment on the overall sound, the rendering. Things I didn't hear may corrupt the outcome.

Original message:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...77&postcount=1

The links are pointing to the new rendering.

Raymond

Re: Symphony 1 - CD-release, please comment on the quality of the sound

After nearly 3 days of listening a little at a time I just made it to the end of the fourth part. I must say I am impressed. You did a great job with this major undertaking.

As far as suggestions or noticing places that the rendering could be touched, I have to say I really didn't find anything - I was too caught up in listening to the music to notice any rendering problems.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thank you for listening. I must agree with you, writing it was "top sport" as also listening is. I will give it a rest for a few weeks, just to re-order my ears to Symphonies of those great masters, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, etc.

No, I am not writing, "of those other great masters", that would be too much honour for me....... hahahaha

Raymond

I just downloaded it into my studio and it is playing now. I'll take a few smoke breaks and drink some beers and listen. I am also watching my spectroscope meter while I am listening. I will treat this as if you were a client. If I find anything I will Give you the timing marks of what I think might be a oops.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Hi Hippie,

Oops after some beers and smokes? Don't drink too much because after that everything will be ooped

Raymond

Raymond

It is the end of the semester now and I am pretty busy and I want to listen to as many pieces as I can tonight, so I only listened to the last movement.

Everything sounded good to me.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi Raymond - overall I found the sound quality quite good -pleasant reverb too! (have only listened to the first 2 parts.) Quite an achievement here. The first part was very pleasant to listen to and the 2nd part was quite exciting.

Too bad you don't have the Strad for the solo violin parts - especially when totally alone in the first part. So you tricked your wife eh? I find when the average person does NOT know the instruments are virtual they won't catch as much - they tend to listen to the music and not the instruments. If they do know, they are much more critical. My daughter calls them fake violin or fake trumpet - even the very best expressive instruments from Garritan and Sample modelling. You are beat before you even start!

Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I edited the original message. Please folks, comment on the overall sound, the rendering. Things I didn't hear may corrupt the outcome.

Original message:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...77&postcount=1

The links are pointing to the new rendering.

Raymond
    Hello Raymond, I've listened several times and would agree that the rendering and overall sound quality is good. Which is why when something isn't quite right, it sticks out like a 'sore thumb'. (Excuse my English oddities!) For me, it was the occasional timp roll that spoilt this. In one place, it sounded so odd it took me by surprise and I thought the music stream was about to fall over. But that was only because the rest of it was so good. It's the machine gun effect - something that should be easily fixed.

I very much enjoyed the work. Good luck.

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by DelCarry View Post

Too bad you don't have the Strad for the solo violin parts - especially when totally alone in the first part. ......

Del
    I do have the Strad and I am planning to use this great instrument when the new GPOA comes out.

Thank you for listening and commenting. I must agree nothing beats a real life performance....

Raymond

[QUOTE=GrahamKeitch;618264For me, it was the occasional timp roll that spoilt this. In one place, it sounded so odd it took me by surprise and I thought the music stream was about to fall over. But that was only because the rest of it was so good. It's the machine gun effect - something that should be easily fixed.

I very much enjoyed the work. Good luck.

Regards, Graham[/QUOTE]

Thanks Graham, I will work on the timpani again, when I am ready using the Strad as the solo violin and when the new GPOA comes out.

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast