• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for someone who uses VSL sounds with Sibelius for questions

Share/Bookmark

Looking for someone who uses VSL sounds with Sibelius for questions

Hi,

I'm trying to learn to use Sib with VSL sounds but I'm still in the dark with assigning articulations. I know what it involves and read some instructions but can't seem to get it right. If you get by well with this I would appreciate being able to ask you a few questions. I'm working with VSL/Logic/Vienna ensemble/Sibelius on Mac OS X 10.5.6

Thanks,

Guy Bacos
    http://www.guybacos.com/

Re: Looking for someone who uses VSL sounds with Sibelius for questions

Hi Guy,

I remember that you have the Vienna Instruments Special Edition on your computer as you did the demo a while back.

I use Sibelius 5 and Vienna Instruments a lot. I can send you a score that will be ready for you to open and play if you like, [you may have to manually put in some patches such as the fast legato ones that I use from the woodwind downloads]for you to try out. Are you using the latest Sibelius 5.25 version? That's the version I am using at the moment.

If you give me a bit of time, but I can send you one or two scores that use bits of the special edition, just the special edition and SE and orchestral strings etc also. It will give you a bit of an idea of how one can do things in Sibelius.

any way I can help I would love to!

best,

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve martin View Post
    Hi Guy,

I remember that you have the Vienna Instruments Special Edition on your computer as you did the demo a while back.

I use Sibelius 5 and Vienna Instruments a lot. I can send you a score that will be ready for you to open and play if you like, [you may have to manually put in some patches such as the fast legato ones that I use from the woodwind downloads]for you to try out. Are you using the latest Sibelius 5.25 version? That's the version I am using at the moment.

If you give me a bit of time, but I can send you one or two scores that use bits of the special edition, just the special edition and SE and orchestral strings etc also. It will give you a bit of an idea of how one can do things in Sibelius.

any way I can help I would love to!

best,

Steve.
    That would be great Steve, thanks! I'm at Sib 5, I might as well upgrade to 5.25.

Quote Originally Posted by guyB View Post
    That would be great Steve, thanks! I'm at Sib 5, I might as well upgrade to 5.25.

I used VSL SE with Sibelius 5.2 for a while now and honestly it was a nightmare assigning articulations I don't care what anyone tells me, they never work when you assign the actual articulation like staccato etc onto the score. The only tried and true way they work 100% of the time is the little secret trick that I use exclusively now. Hold control and press E on the keyboard, then click under the staff this allows you to write something onto the staff. Type ~N24,10 24 will represent the first box in the matrix of the instrument. Meaning, if you uploaded a violin matrix and the top left box of the matrix in vienna ensemble is violin staccato then ~N24,10 will tell it to switch to that box articulation. Going up to ~N25,10 will go to the box to the right of that, ~N26,10 to the box on the right of that etc etc.. This works I believe for every instrument except double basses, their designation is ~N84,10 with the same progression.

I am using the VSL First Edition Gigastudio Library and trigger sound on my Mac Sibelius as I find the Sibelius VI Mechanism slow and boggy. I just use the DSL Sounds first , get the score to work then produce the sounds later.

I was wondering also if there is a big difference between VSL First Edition and the VSL Special Edition? Anyone still using First Edition VSL Giga and considered this move?

Quote Originally Posted by requiem_aeternam7 View Post
    I used VSL SE with Sibelius 5.2 for a while now and honestly it was a nightmare assigning articulations I don't care what anyone tells me, they never work when you assign the actual articulation like staccato etc onto the score. The only tried and true way they work 100% of the time is the little secret trick that I use exclusively now. Hold control and press E on the keyboard, then click under the staff this allows you to write something onto the staff. Type ~N24,10 24 will represent the first box in the matrix of the instrument. Meaning, if you uploaded a violin matrix and the top left box of the matrix in vienna ensemble is violin staccato then ~N24,10 will tell it to switch to that box articulation. Going up to ~N25,10 will go to the box to the right of that, ~N26,10 to the box on the right of that etc etc.. This works I believe for every instrument except double basses, their designation is ~N84,10 with the same progression.
    Sibelius will switch when you mark it with staccato in the technique selection, when using DSL and GPO. Also reads all dynamics.

I have to agree with requiem on this. I spent a lot of time trying to customize the dictionary. Actually it works ok in K3 if you use bank and program numbers. But with most library's I use the ~N control #-comma- and the 1-127 approach. Also ~B for bends. Oh yeah, Control E lets you write the Expression code.

Best,

Tony

Hello.

I have been trying to get Sibelius and VSL to work well for a long time. I keep giving up. However, I'm finally getting a nice response with the VSL (VE) instruments in Sibelius 6. It's not because of Sib 6 as much as it is with what I started doing in VSL SE, using the VE setup.

I have an old atonal quartet I input into Sibelius for Flute, Clarinet in Bb, F. Horn and Cello. There are lots of fast notes, and a wide range of dynamics and pitches. I'm not really technical about these things, but here's what I did to get things sounding good tonight:

I watched the Sibelius video from VSL, and followed it exactly.

I have the VSL strings extended and plus, and several other download instruments that have a lot of articulations that plain SE doesn't have.

I noticed that the clarinet was very boggy at first, until I clicked on Velocity X-fade, and I think I clicked on the Reset to Sustain button, too.

I had downloaded the VE soundset for Sibelius, and I'm using that now, and I'm able to get some decent articulations using what's available in Sibelius. Staccato, Pizz. Slurs, fp, and so on. I don't know yet what all will work, but it's coming along so much better than I've had for a couple of years now.

The Vienna Instruments are sounding very real and a lot smoother now. I hated it for a long time, actually sorry I had given them so much of my money. I'm actually thankful I'll never be able to afford their $20,000.00 package!

I'm surprised, actually, that I took the time to follow the directions on the Video, and so far, so good!

Dennis

Go Back to forum