• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for a composer/arranger

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a composer/arranger

I wasn't sure where to post this, but i guess the listening area would be where composers and arrangers most likely would read/post threads. I have a few projects going on:

1) I have about 12 pop songs. They're just stereo audio tracks. I would like for an arranger write a score based on these tracks. These tracks in general include Drum set, percussion, bass, guitar, keyboard,piano, strings, brass,a few with flute and oboe and such....

Not all are busy tracks, but at the same time i don't want to have the oboe dude to sit there half of the concert for example. So if possible, i would like to have those instruments to do something as well..In brief, you would have to write down everything you hear, and then, make the arrangements work for these instruments. I would like some instruments to be in every songs such as the piano, guitar, strings and brass. I don't need the score for percussion, and drums...but definitely a chord chart for the guitar...Basically, you would have to lift the score off of a recording and make it work for the instrumentation mentioned above. It must be notated in Finale, and i would like the conductor score as well as the parts.

2) projcect number 2!
    It's also some other pop songs, but their arrangment is awefully weak. So there's really nothing usefull exept some phrases here and there. I guess for those i would need a brand new arrangement. This one is also a combination of drum set,guitar...and string/brass section.

3) Project number 3:
    I have some naked melodies with no arrangement at all. They're some praise songs. ( most of them follow the AB A'B A''B pattern and go anywhere between 3 to 5 minutes)

And in general, i would like to meet people who are familiar with writing for orchestra.

Arrangemetns like this really gets my attention:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yay4W9hkJJM

This type of arrangements is what i'm looking for. A combination of pop oriented instruments and orchestral . I listened to many pieces posted on here, but most of them would suit video games or films..etc. I don't want crazy pads with massive effects, ..stylus, omnisphere lead sounds..etc...just the old fasion pop/orchestral writing it's what i need.If you have samples of your work, please send me a link to check them out... I would also like to know how much you charge for doing project number 1 and 2???..thanks

Re: Looking for a composer/arranger

I have some questions for you.

For Project #1,
    What's your budget?
    What is your timeframe?
    What is the exact instrumentation are the arrangements for?
    How many instruments in each family?
    Will this be played by a live orchestra?
    Will you require recordings of the score as it might be played?
    Do you have any midi files of these pieces to begin with?
    Can you post links to mp3s of some of the pieces?
    Typically an arranger is given a solid framework to begin with on paper or midi, the aural transcription of your pieces is what will be a huge time consideration here. The more you can provide, the faster, cheaper and better the project will be.

For Project #2
    This sounds more like Co-writing to me. You essentially are looking for composition help here which aside from the fees that would be typical for things like Project #1 also include rights to the music. Are you intending to buy those back as well?

For Project #3
    Now we're back into the world of arranging but it sounds like there is even less to work with than project #1 Same questions as for that one
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McCallister View Post
    I have some questions for you.

For Project #1,
    What's your budget?
    What is your timeframe?
    What is the exact instrumentation are the arrangements for?
    How many instruments in each family?
    Will this be played by a live orchestra?
    Will you require recordings of the score as it might be played?
    Do you have any midi files of these pieces to begin with?
    Can you post links to mp3s of some of the pieces?
    Typically an arranger is given a solid framework to begin with on paper or midi, the aural transcription of your pieces is what will be a huge time consideration here. The more you can provide, the faster, cheaper and better the project will be.

For Project #2
    This sounds more like Co-writing to me. You essentially are looking for composition help here which aside from the fees that would be typical for things like Project #1 also include rights to the music. Are you intending to buy those back as well?

For Project #3
    Now we're back into the world of arranging but it sounds like there is even less to work with than project #1 Same questions as for that one
    Hi Scott,
    for project #1:
    The instrumentation is: drum,perc,Bass,guitar,piano, keybaord, 6 violins,4violas, 2 cellos, 2 trumpet,1 trombone, 1 sax, 1 flute, some of the brass people also double with oboe, and clarinet if needed. That's basically the case for the most part. Every once in a while this instrumentation changes little bit but not that much. So no recording is required, just a plain Finale score. I've been doing this for a long time. It usually takes me 4 hours to write the notes, and about 1 to 2 hours to clean the conductor score and generate individual parts. So i'm very familiar with it. The thing is that when you get like 10 or 15 songs, it might take you 2 hours to do one, and 8 hours to do another, so i normally charge a set price for the whole thing. Some times i get different project going on at the same time, So i thougth i should probably start making some friends around here and share the load. I work with different managers, so i can't tell you what the budget is. They want me to tell them what my price or yours is, ..Most of them have no music training by the way.

As far as samples:
    For example, here is the actual song: (never mind the lousy video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rjJMJ2XJig

It's all done by keyboard...

This is the concert version of it. The score was written by an american arranger i believe. Watch the beginning of this clip now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReWHdn0Xmc

Let me know if this helped that at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McCallister View Post
    For Project #2

For Project #3
    To answer your question:
    I'll tell you how I deal with them, and this is expected of anybody else who works with them. This is basically a small productiond aimed at a very small minority. There's no recording involved. It's all live performance. If original tracks have decent arrangement, then you just write what you hear, and make it suitable for the actual instrument as far as ranges, technical difficulties..etc

If the arrangement is poor, then you keep the best ideas from the song and add your own ideas to it. Obviously, this would take more time than just trying to write what's already there. Then you price that kind of work differently. You will only get paid for the score and that's it. The link that i posted is an example of that kind of work that they do most of the time.

Same thing goes also for project #3. There's also no recording involved at this point. That could also be negotiated if required. But at this time, it's all a finale score. So basically, you arrange it, you get paid for the arrangement, and you're done. Nothing close to a jingle that you might write for a radio station or TV show...that's how it is when i work for them. I write the arrangement, and i get paid for it. What they do with it later on , it's not discussed.

Go Back to forum