• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Five Thirty-Nine" (Redo)

Share/Bookmark

"Five Thirty-Nine" (Redo)

Y'all,

I did a reprogramming of my "Five Thirty-Nine" for the Garritan Authorized Steinway piano.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Five Thirty-Nine" (Redo)

Is my music going to slip into...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-b...1.wav=oblivion

Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Now that I have had some coffee and can see the computer.........NO.

I love this Larry. The mix/sound is right on the mark.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Now that I have had some coffee and can see the computer.........NO.

I love this Larry. The mix/sound is right on the mark.
    Thanks for rescueing it, Mr. Aram.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry, Sorry to come to this late. I hope more folks will stop by and listen to this piece. I enjoyed the headlong plunge as this took off and then the rhythmic change-ups later in the piece. Both piano and orchestra sound great in this one. Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Larry, Sorry to come to this late. I hope more folks will stop by and listen to this piece. I enjoyed the headlong plunge as this took off and then the rhythmic change-ups later in the piece. Both piano and orchestra sound great in this one. Regards, John
    I appreciate your message, Mr. John. Thank you for listening.

Take care,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry! So anxious!--After only one day up you thought the post would slip into oblivion? Ah now have some faith in us Listening Room regulars!

Spectacular re-do with the Steinway. The piece is such an energetic, well made excursion. Impressive as always, Mr. A.

In case it bothers you - This topic came up recently on another music post. Straight out of the Aria player, the Steinway is hugely wide in its stereo pan, programmed that way I believe to give soloists a more believable sensation that they're sitting down at a physical Steinway. But for recording it sounds odd because no matter how much reverb one adds, it's still as if the Listener is sitting there like a pianist, 2 feet from the front of the piano.

There are mixing things you can do to narrow the stereo field - Like have the Steinway's stereo tracks inserted as two Mono tracks, L and R. Then you can pan the stereo image closer together, and you're able to place it on the virtual stage where you want.

Offered in case that impossibly wide stereo image bothers you.

Thanks again for the wake-me-up music!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Larry! So anxious!--After only one day up you thought the post would slip into oblivion? Ah now have some faith in us Listening Room regulars!

Spectacular re-do with the Steinway. The piece is such an energetic, well made excursion. Impressive as always, Mr. A.

In case it bothers you - This topic came up recently on another music post. Straight out of the Aria player, the Steinway is hugely wide in its stereo pan, programmed that way I believe to give soloists a more believable sensation that they're sitting down at a physical Steinway. But for recording it sounds odd because no matter how much reverb one adds, it's still as if the Listener is sitting there like a pianist, 2 feet from the front of the piano.

There are mixing things you can do to narrow the stereo field - Like have the Steinway's stereo tracks inserted as two Mono tracks, L and R. Then you can pan the stereo image closer together, and you're able to place it on the virtual stage where you want.

Offered in case that impossibly wide stereo image bothers you.

Thanks again for the wake-me-up music!

Randy
    The image doesn't sound spread on my system. Strange! I only have the Basic version of the Garritan Steinway. Could that have anything to do with the stereo image? I used two insertions of the piano - one for right hand and the other for, duh, left hand and panned the r.h. ten percent right and the l.h. ten percent, duh, left. Maybe I should have panned both to zero (center).

Thanks for listening and thank you for the mono tip.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Deja Vu - Now I remember that actually we've gone over this before. Well, even though not everyone is setting the piano up in the same as you, they're getting the super wide stereo effect.

You know you don't need two instances of the Steinway in order to have two tracks, one each for L and R hand. Just two MIDI tracks playing the same instance will work. - Ask for mono tracks when you bring the VST in, as in the earlier post, then pan them as you do - should narrow the impossibly wild field. And - one instance will get you the same sound.

I don't know why you don't hear the stereo on your system--accidentally monitoring in mono maybe.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Deja Vu - Now I remember that actually we've gone over this before. Well, even though not everyone is setting the piano up in the same as you, they're getting the super wide stereo effect.

You know you don't need two instances of the Steinway in order to have two tracks, one each for L and R hand. Just two MIDI tracks playing the same instance will work. - Ask for mono tracks when you bring the VST in, as in the earlier post, then pan them as you do - should narrow the impossibly wild field. And - one instance will get you the same sound.

I don't know why you don't hear the stereo on your system--accidentally monitoring in mono maybe.

Randy
    I DO hear the stereo on my system. It's just not as pronounced as you are apparently hearing.

Using two instances of the Steinway gives me more complete control of both hands. I prefer to work in that manner. I detune one of the instances just a tad to prevent phasing.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast