• Register
  • Help

Topic: Permutations

Share/Bookmark

Permutations

This is a short exercise focusing on rhythm, though it isn't exactly rhythmically exciting. Rather, every instrumental line uses the same rhythmic motif (3+2+3+2+3+1+1), but in different permutations (hence the name!). The render is straight from Finale, so I didn't do much work on reverb or EQ, but I was wondering if anyone might have any comments on the actual musicality of the exercise? It's pretty short (2:20), but I figure it's just as much of a challenge to make a short piece interesting as it is a long one. Thanks for listening!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7567631

-Collin

Re: Permutations

I like the feel of this track alot. I would like to hear a full mixed & mastered version.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

I agree with Hippie – the feel is great, but the straight from Finale rendering is a little flat. I can imagine this being a scene in a movie.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for the responses Hippie and Trent! I agree that the output from Finale is not exactly ideal, but I won't be able to do a proper mockup until I get home later this week. I used Finale 09 for this, with the Aria player, and while it's still not anywhere near as good as using a sequencer, I actually thought it was quite a step up from Finale with Kontakt. Truth be told, I have actually started to feel like not bothering with Cakewalk mockups anymore until GPO Aria is released... Even so, I'll fix this one up once I'm home. I'm sure that, if nothing else, it will at least make things much less muddy.

Go Back to forum