• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pristine Space or SIR2

Share/Bookmark

Pristine Space or SIR2

I'm looking for a convultion reverb that sounds great but won't break me like Altiverb. So after going through I'm having a tough time deciding between Voxengo's Pristine Space or SIR2.

They both look pretty comporable and sound pretty close to each other to me. For any of you guys or girls using either or both, do you have a preference?

Am I missing something about one being better than the other?

Thanks.

Re: Pristine Space or SIR2

Pristine Space has been rock solid for me for years, never failed. It also has very very low latency (I run it on a remote dedicated PC via FX-Teleport). And it's very cheap, you will not go wrong with it!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos View Post
    Pristine Space has been rock solid for me for years, never failed. It also has very very low latency (I run it on a remote dedicated PC via FX-Teleport). And it's very cheap, you will not go wrong with it!
    Thanks Peter...good to hear and thank you for your input...

If you work with Cubase than upgrade to Cubase 5 and use the Convolution verb from Cubase 5. It sounds very great to my ears and you can import other impulses formats like wav or aif.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos View Post
    +1, I'm a voxengo fan

You can't really go wrong with either one. SIR2 is the first to go 64-bit, though Voxengo probably won't lag behind for long. Both are solid and have great usability. Pick the one that has the more inspirational GUI for you.

I was somewhat skeptical about the value of all those channels, but once I started using "Pristine Space" I really could not imagine going back to "just two" channels. But that's me!

They both sound good, and both can use a wide range of impulse responses, and neitehr one uses draconian copy protection, so...

Pro's for Pristine Space:
    ==================
    all those channels
    less demanding on PC resources
    intuitive UI - utilitarian perhaps, but easily understood
    Voxengo support - legendary

Pro's for SIR2
    ==========
    inviting inviting UI - for some reason it makes me want to play
    included content is excellent
    the HDIR option is intriguing
    support is reported to be excellent, I have no direct experience

A note about the resources thing - on my particular computer, running Sonar 8.3.1 as the host, I find that Pristine Space uses a lot less in the way of resources... ultimately I am not sure it's a meaningful metric, Wintel platforms, even running the same host, vary so widely that some may find SIR2 to be more system friendly.

I don't believe you can go wrong with either one, and your best bet is probably to download and experiment with both.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

On the subject of usability: PS is just plain simple, still with many features/functionality.

As an independent interaction / user interface designer now for 12 years, I really don't like the silly GUI from Altiverb. Too much eye-candy and using physical "metaphors" is already sooo Old School in UX-land.

I even find that the rotary buttons in PS should be simple sliders, even more easy to use.

Get Pristine Space - it is sooo good.

Just compare all the releases and fixes for Altiverb (with version numbers like bank account numbers) and the simple updates and improvements by Aleksey for PS... 1.6, 1.7, 1.8.

He certainly knows how to code! Keep up the good work, mister Vaneev!

Go Back to forum