• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do You Filter MIDI Data?

Do You Filter MIDI Data?

I think that I have some habits that probably don't need to be a part of my workflow. One of these has to do with the amount of MIDI data being transmitted at any given time. With old hardware (Roland U-20, etc.) you could easily overwhelm a synth with MIDI data. So, I began the process of routinely filtering data as I moved through a project. I've continued with this practice, more out of habit than anything else. There have been multiple times in the past where I've thought to myself `I probably don't need to be doing this anymore' and then I continue doing it.

So, I'm going to start not filtering MIDI data just to see what happens. I thought I would ask if any of you filter MIDI data, I'd be interested to know!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Do You Filter MIDI Data?

Hi Kevin. I also filter and monitor midi data before it goes to the sequencer. Im using "midi-ox" a little windows utility for that. Most times i dont need it, but i like to see what`s going on, and with this utility i can do some tweaks like change the velocity curve of the keyboard, and that.

Chandler, Arizona

Re: Do You Filter MIDI Data?

The only data I filter out is channel aftertouch unless a sound actually uses it. Back years ago with external hardware modules I used to thin controller data but I don't find it necessary with the more powerful computers. I regularly do sequences with between 50-100 tracks without problems.

Go Back to forum