• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Latest news

Share/Bookmark

Latest news

I thought people might like to know about the work we've been doing on the Steinway software pianos.
    To me the biggest event lately was recording a Steinway B in January at Skywalker Sound. Gary posted about it on the main Garritan forum http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64871 in late January if you'd like to read about it.
    The current update of the Steinway D is v1.03, which I'd certainly advise getting if you don't have it, at garritan.biz. I've been working for a number of weeks on v1.04 which I'll finish and post sometime this month - it improves the sustain resonance feature primarily, plus makes one or two tweaks to samples, plus includes various improvements that have been made in the ARIA player over the last two months. We're planning to release the new pressing of Pro and Standard versions not too long after v1.04 is final. And after v1.04 we'll have more updates.
    Fyi, I've been working almost exclusively on the Steinway new development and updates this year, and I'd expect I'll continue that way this year. Hopefully you'll all enjoy the work.

Re: Latest news

Thanks, Jeff. Looking forward to the release.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Question Re: Latest news

sounds good, any chance of adding the ability edit the velocity curve

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    To me the biggest event lately was recording a Steinway B in January at Skywalker Sound.
    What is the ambience at Skywalker Sound? How does it compare with the hall in Troy?

The current update of the Steinway D is v1.03, which I'd certainly advise getting if you don't have it.
    Hi Jeff, Thanks for all the news.

I followed your suggestion and updated my Basic v1.02 to v1.03.

It is hard to judge realism because our ears get so accustomed to a particular sound, but my first strong impression was that v1.03 sounds substantially less realistic, less like a Steinway, than v1.02, especially in the lower half. Is that my imagination or did things really change that much?

My first inclination is to think it's a trick of the imagination, but I don't want to discount the possibility that something is wrong. The update has been out about two months and I haven't heard other reports of that, but again that doesn't automatically mean nothing is wrong. Do you have any older project files using the Steinway, along with wav (or aiff) audio files that you rendered from the older project? If so, you could compare the old rendered files with a new rendering which would automatically use v1.03. Or you could simply uninstall v1.03 and reinstall v1.02 - you can still get 1.02 from the website. That's a bit drastic though. Or better yet, simply reboot and then check all your settings in the preferences of the Steinway standalone if you're using it, or in your sequencer. It's possible your audio card driver is subtly out of whack, which a reboot would more than likely reset.

The acoustics at Skywalker Sound were amazing. First things first though - it's not a concert hall and so just by common sense the ambience is pretty radically different from the Steinway D's Troy Music Hall. That said, Skywalker Sound is one of the top studios in the world, and a large part of that is the scoring stage room. Perfectly noise sealed from the outside world and the control room, it really surprised me in this respect. From the control room we had a very large view of the room and the pianist, through I believe three special panes of glass. I started the first day talking in half whispers but needlessly so. The engineer said it would probably take something like a gun shot for even a trace amount of audio to leak into the room. To prove the point, while the pianist was playing forte notes he turned off the studio monitors which were providing us sound, and the control room just went dead quiet - I could see the pianist thundering away, but I couldn't even hear some small, tiny bit of it.
    You may be more interested in the actual acoustics than the isolation. The most accurate description would come from a link http://www.skysound.com/sound_music.html - but I had a very good impression.
    What I liked particularly about the room is that the engineers can adjust the room in a number of ways to change the characteristics. The most obvious adjustment is decay time which they can control via recessed walls on the sides of the room which can slide out to varying degrees (or not at all). These sliding walls have much more sound absorbent properties than the main walls, so one of the first things we did during setup day was to adjust the walls to a degree that gave a "liveness" that the engineers, the pianist, and myself and others, felt sounded best for this piano and for our aims. On a more subtle level, the engineers also placed an array of large but movable wooden sound diffusors on the far side of the piano, which I suspect both added complexity to the sound and added a slight bit of emphasis to near-field sound without losing any of the development that the room provides.
    In the end though, it's a room that sounds good. We'd work up to 12 hours a day and still yet I'd stay an additional 2 hours afterward just to play. No one around, lights (mostly) off, 10pm, I'd just play a perfectly maintained concert-touring Steinway with great natural reverberation. If I was tired I didn't notice it.

My first inclination is to think it's a trick of the imagination, but I don't want to discount the possibility that something is wrong. The update has been out about two months and I haven't heard other reports of that, but again that doesn't automatically mean nothing is wrong. Do you have any older project files using the Steinway, along with wav (or aiff) audio files that you rendered from the older project? If so, you could compare the old rendered files with a new rendering which would automatically use v1.03. Or you could simply uninstall v1.03 and reinstall v1.02 - you can still get 1.02 from the website. That's a bit drastic though. Or better yet, simply reboot and then check all your settings in the preferences of the Steinway standalone if you're using it, or in your sequencer. It's possible your audio card driver is subtly out of whack, which a reboot would more than likely reset.
    Thanks for your quick response, Jeff.

I had already reverted to v1.02, and I think I'll stay there until v1.04. Unfortunately I don't have old rendered files to compare. After I get a bit further and have rendered files to play with I'll revisit this and try to sort it out, comparing v1.02 with v1.04.

I'm glad to hear that you didn't expect this, because that means that v1.03 is not a redesign that intentionally changes the v1.02 sound.

Thanks.

The acoustics at Skywalker Sound were amazing.
    Sounds like a terrific acoustic adventure you guys had. And that piano...

It will be fascinating to see how the Model B sounds.

Where do you get the time to make the latest update for "our" Steinway?
    A day has only 24 hrs., pity enough. Do you get anough sleep or are you spending the night in total silence (the Troy hall)?

Just kidding...

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast