• Register
  • Help

Topic: Leaving Monitor Power on

Share/Bookmark

Leaving Monitor Power on

I just got my new monitors, which sound great. The only problem is that all the controls, including the power switch, are on the back.

Because my room is quite small the best place to put my speaker stands is going to leave them completely unaccesible, trapped in behind a really deep desk. So is it OK to leave the power switches, on the back of the monitors, turned on, and just turn off the whole rig at the wall after each session?
    David

Re: Leaving Monitor Power on

I wouldn't see why not. Or plug them into a dedicated power strip or power conditioner that you can get to and shut off when you're done.

Steve Winkler

Hey Pingu,
    That will do just fine. The thing to avoid these days is keeping monitors on all the time. That just wastes energy and heats up rooms.

What kind of monitors did you get?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Hey Pingu,
    That will do just fine. The thing to avoid these days is keeping monitors on all the time. That just wastes energy and heats up rooms.

What kind of monitors did you get?

-Kevin
    I went with Acoustic Energy AE22. I don't know if you have them in the US. They're a sealed unit model - I got to hear them while I was on a course on studio design, and was mightily impressed - they're just incredily fast. Now I just need to find a way to get enough isolation from my wooden floorboards to stop the room from making them into a really slow speaker.

ps Thanks for the advice.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I just got my new monitors, which sound great. The only problem is that all the controls, including the power switch, are on the back.

Because my room is quite small the best place to put my speaker stands is going to leave them completely unaccesible, trapped in behind a really deep desk. So is it OK to leave the power switches, on the back of the monitors, turned on, and just turn off the whole rig at the wall after each session?
    Hello Pingu,

Snap ... I just got my new monitors too.

I went for the KRK VXT6.

Strangely enough I was thinking exactly the same as you as these power switches also are on the back. I too decided to leave the switches on and to use some kind of switched power strip. I have been looking at those strips where they can be turned on and off by remote control but I think I might stay with the 'usual' ones.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I had an other thought around this. Some power supplies/uninterrupted power supplies have a feature that will turn equipment on every few seconds or so. For instance, I have a Monster power supply that turns on my hard disks, then 2 or 3 seconds later my audio interface and then finally 3 seconds later my monitors. This keeps any unwanted surges from happening and also keeps my monitors from popping when the audio interface turns on. Well worth the extra $$ spent, but then again I'm a backup and clean power nut.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Check to see if you monitors have an auto power option. This is usually a switch on the back that will power off the monitors after a period of inactivity. They will automatically turn on once they receive audio input.

Jim

If you're using an Operating System/PC that's ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) enabled, why don't you just have the PC turn off the monitors before it shuts itself down?

This process can be automated by XP SP3, Vista, and Windows 7.

To learn more, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ower_Interface

Stevemitchell

Go Back to forum