• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using GPO in a 5.1 Mix

Using GPO in a 5.1 Mix

Hello everyone,

I have just completed a stereo score for an indie film, and am trying to do a 5.1 version of the music. I used GPO for 80% of the score and am running cubase 3sx.

I set up my routing in cubase, and found an interesting thing. If I have a harp sound for example, and keep it at it's default panning, I can pan the sound front to back, but the sound doesn't really go Left to right!

I remember from my old pre-vsti days that most synths went mono on the left output, so when I pan the harp to the left, I can pan the instrument Left, Right, Surround Left, Surround Right.

Is this normal for GPO in a surround situation, or is there a better way to have full control over placement?

Re: Using GPO in a 5.1 Mix

Are you routing the output of the VSTi to a 5.1 bus? Do you have a full surround panner available to you to move the sound?

Also - check the settings in the surround panner itself - there are several "modes" available - I most often use X-mirror or mono for placement of orchestral instruments.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Hi Houston,

This is the first time I'm doing anything in surround, so I'm not sure what you mean by a full surround panner?

If by that you mean the little box with the dot (my own technical description ) where the left-right panner used to be, then yes, I see that. Where are those modes? Do you right click on that box/panner?

At first I thought I should convert each VSTi track to mono, but that just doesn't seem right.

No way am I going to try and cover the basics of surround mixing in a discussion forum post.

I'll refer you to the Auxbuss Cubase SX3 tutorials. I bought their original paperback book (invaluable) and the online material is worth every penny and then some. They also have a PDF file of the text that you can download that will help quite a bit.

Highly, highly recommended.

Also - here's a great article on surround in Cubase 4 in Music Tech magazine - all of the principals apply.

Thanks Houston,

I actually went through the help after I replied to you, and I learned all about the panner, the modes and everything. It works perfectly!!!

Everything sounds strong and the panning is really strong now. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Now the art comes in because my temptation is to make EVERYTHING big and wide, and I have to keep reminding myself that if I use the panning and wide pans judiciously it will make them more dramatic when they kick in.

Thanks Again,

Isn't it generally accepted to keep a music mix in the front speakers? And use the rear speakers for music reverb and SFX?

Is is still common to deliver music to the mix stage in Stereo Stems, or a 5.1 mix?

Does anybody know of any similar documentation for Pro Tools?

"International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Go Back to forum